We deal with the google experts on the amcforum.com
Real world experience counts more........... and those with track experience typically blow away those who only read about building fast cars. Nothing beats your time slip. And I'll pit my pre 1985 auto experience against anyone. I was simply the best there was in this state.

OK, so I come for opinions on finishing the "loft" (fine, call it the upstairs or second story if that feels better) and I get told how poorly the building was made on the lower level and how that was done all wrong as far as walls and insulation (based on pdf files.
Nope. Sorry - that may be by-the-book from companies, What is in mine, well, that's standard building practice - how it's really done in the field on a wood frame pole building. I've never seen a wood pole building used for garage, shop or business done differently than how that lower or main level was done on mine. As an ex-farmer, I've been in a few "pole buildings" and won't apologise for how the lower level of my building was made. Insulation does not get put over the posts around these parts. The insulation goes between, then a vapor barrier, then the steel inside. I've yet to see insulation also put over the posts/poles on a wood building in this state. I guess I liken it to a wood framed house built of 2/4's. Do you insulate the studs, too? No, vapor barrier, then sheetrock. Houses 20 years old have nothing but cheap plywood or fiberboard material on the outside, the stud, then sheetrock inside and insulation is put BETWEEN the studs - the studs themselves are only 3.5" wide and are not insulatecd.
Even the metal shop building I worked in for many years while I was a mechanic - all steel construction, was insulated between the steel frame members, they were exposed. There was a thin piece of insulation between the frame and outer walls, but then that was STEEL frame and that conducts the heat energy much more effeciently than 6" wood posts. So I figure this is insulated better than any house around here.

I'm not a building engineer, but here's my experience:
I've held a maintenance electricians license in the city of Ankeny.
I was in charge of all buildings and grounds and related projects at On With Life while I was "systems and facilities manager" under the president/ceo of OWL. I worked with the construction companies on the punch lists and any issues during construction.
I designed and tested the computers used in the control systems sold by Compressor Controls Corp. (also in charge of network and building security)
When I was between jobs, I passed the State of Iowa building "maintenance engineer" test with a 90% (however was not selected which was really ok, I guess)
I've worked as an electrician's assistant.
1975 state champion Plymouth Troubleshooting contest, set record for fastest time in the practical part, highest written score on the written exam. 14th place in nationals. Was offered, and turned down, job as service manager at Iowa's largest AMC/Jeep/Chrysler dealership of that time.

I pick things up quickly. I'm a visual learner and once I see something, I'm pretty much there.

In this building project like any other, there are at times comprimises in order to simply get done and be within budget. Although we'd recently sold a very solid buisiness so had a little cash to work with (a buisness which we took from nothing up to the 2nd highest grossing quilt store in central Iowa in under 3 years, and which in less than the first year, blew away the PO's projections for us) taxes, etc. took a fair chunk and we wanted some of that for retirement. I got only so much of it to work with.
The building was drawn and designed by me in very rough form (dimensions, shape, concepts) and had to stay within county limits on height, etc. I wanted a shop/garage, Barbara wanted a barn. So I drew her a barn I could use.
The final design was done by a Pella firm who specs and puts up many dozens of buildings each year and was built by one of their 4 or 5 crews - a crew I asked for specifically due to their reputation. The trusses were specced by the buisiness in Pella based on my wanting a wood working shop upstairs, finished and heated, with my power tools up there. Even though it's the cheap Craftsman stuff, it does ok for my piddling. I'm no Norm Abram, I don't have 27 routers and a $2,000 table saw. Mine was $99.95.
The builders themselves are an Amish crew with great pride in their work, they don't cheat, lie, steal, smoke or drink on the job (if ever!) or cut corners. The punch list, such as it were, consisted of one single item, which they resolved in 5 minutes before they even left the site.

Now if there are true problems, yeah, sure, I'd want to know..... but based on experience. See, at work, in fact, each job, me with no certificates on the wall am the one doing the jobs of the certified engineers. I've worked with Microsoft, Novell and Cisco certified administrators and engineers, and they seem to come to ME to get the job done........ so I value experience more than paper.

Anyone who can say "I've seen that before, and we've seen where it leads to this or that" I'm all ears. I do appreciate advice and opinions and that is what I came here for, but I value real-world experiences most, that's why I didn't ask in a car forum or a quilting forum..........

However, when someone comes in to ask us about an engine problem, we try to shy away from "who did that awful paint job".

Sorry for the rant! It's been a BAD couple weeks, nationally, job-wise, and I've been a week with a BAD headcold in the sinuses and throat.............. and my head hurts.

(and I must have missed where it said that a double vapor barrier was a bad thing......)