+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default "sheetrock" for my barn/shop

Yet another question on walls and ceilings.
    I'm basically asking what thickness of sheet rock to use on the ceilings........... considering span, weight of insulation used, etc. There are photos linked below.
    I've got a new barn. 30' wide by 36' long, 14' walls in the lower level and a loft above for a wood/work shop. Cars will be below, wood and tools above. The loft is running down the middle of the upper level. It's 36' long and 15' wide down the middle. It's framed by the trusses which are spaced 24" OC.
    The floor is done, it's covered in 3/4" tongue and groove plywood. The builders did that for me. I need to insulate and sheetrock the loft for a work area. I want to have some cubby-holes on the sides between the trusses for storage, shelves and closets but otherwise, cover the walls and ceiling.
    I'm using 6" thick kraft backed insulation stapled to the trusses. That's a lot of weight on the top!
    I've used pink foam board, 1.5" thick on the ends, then 1/2" sheetrock there, have not done the long sides or the ceiling yet.
    I'm hoping for suggestions and expert advice!
    Can I use 1/2" sheetrock on the 24" OC trusses? What if I use blocking, or put more 2x4's between?? Like perpendicular to the trusses??

Here's photos:
    http://theamcpages.com/new-garage.asp

Default Re: "sheetrock" for my barn/shop

Yes, you can use 1/2" rock on the trusses. Usually it would not be recommended in a living area because you would probably see drywall "waves" going from truss to truss. (5/8" would not show this "wave" effect) But this is a workshop area so that would not bother my "eye". I would recommend screwing and gluing the sheetrock to the trusses. Get a self feeding screw gun and be generous with the screws.

I will also say that having a drywall lift will make getting the 12' long sheetrock panels to the ceiling extremely easy. I bought a cheapo model off the web for less than $200 and it was well worth it. You would probably be able to sell it when you are done. What an awesome project...two new tools are necessary! Great looking barn by the way- how about a pic from the outside.

I was thinking of putting some 2x4s, cut 22.5-23" long between the trusses to allow more to screw to - esp where the ends of a sheet will come.
    Should I go with the length of the sheet running with the trusses, or across them? With the length, I'd have screws on each edge, down the center (assuming a 4' wide sheet) and then where-ever I put some cross-pieces.
    I could run a full 4x8 sheet, then a 4x7', then on the next run, do the 4x7, then the 4x8 so the seams wouldn't all line up down the middle, or is that wrong?

More images may be seen at this web address:
    http://theamcpages.com/new-garage.asp

Run the sheets with the long side going across the trusses so that you have butt joints at a truss. I would recommend 12' sheets (again with a lift!) so that you have fewer butt joints to finish. Stagger the butt joints as you mentioned by starting one row with a 12' sheet and the next row with a 6' sheet.

I don't think you will gain much by having the 2x4's between the trusses for the extra screws. It might help line up the trusses if the span between them wanders a little.

Awesome looking barn!!! I bet it will be fun filling it up!

I concur, 1/2" sheetrock is fine even on a 24" truss spacing. The insulation seems like a lot of weight when it's in a package, but once it's laid out it's an insignificant amount per square foot. Run the length of the sheetrock perpendicular to the trusses. Butt the ends on a truss. It's not necessary to put backing behind the edge joints where they span between trusses; pretty much NO builder in the world does this.

8' or 12' sheets -- that's your choice. But do rent, buy, or borrow a drywall lift. It will save you a lot of frustration and sore back. Plus, your job will look better because you and your buddies won't be chugging beer between each sheet that seems to get harder and harder put up... just kidding!

One reason I mention 4x8 as opposed to 4x12 is.....

It's got to go up these! That's roughly 7' up, then a landing/corner, then another 7'.
    WHEW!
    and enough to cover ceiling and walls of an area 15'x36' 7.5' tall. That's a lot of material to carry up those steps.