+ Reply to Thread

Default Can someone tell me what kind of wood this is

We just moved in and I need to figure out what kind of flooring this is because the home inspector guy told my husband not to use any chemicals on it so I need to find out the best way to clean it. I don't see what the harm in using a floor cleaner on it but I need to make sure. Thanks

Default Re: Can someone tell me what kind of wood this is

It almost looks like a wood oak laminate. Difficult to tell from a picture. I would try to do some investigating is it "worn" anywhere, where you can poke around? I would take a corner somewhere, bright light and make a very small hole or maybe look carefully between the boards. Is each individual? It will be interesting to see what others respond with.
    Good luck.

Looks to me like some manner of oak laminate also.

And...it looks like it's delaminating in numerous places. Hence the bubble-like appearance in many places. On that note, I wonder if this floor wasn't flooded at some time.

Tough, if not impossible, to say with certainty just from a picture though.

A third vote for oak laminate. Although, rather than what ****ie suggested I wonder if the "waves" in the floor were intentional to give it a hand hewn look.

I've always just used 3/4 cup white vineger to a gallon of warm water and a damp not wet mop.

Definitely looks like a laminate floor at at the least a prefinished floor as the edges of each board are rounded and you don't normally see this with solid floors finished in place. Looks like from the picture one of the boards has a pretty good gouge or dent in it. Maybe you can tell if it is solid or laminate from looking at that. If not perhaps you can pull the baseboard or shoe molding off to see from there. If under the floor is a spongy vapor barrier it is a floating laminate floor. If it is tar paper or rosin paper it is most likely solid. If it is laminate you should be able to use any laminate floor cleaner on it. If it is solid you can test products on an inconspicuous area such as under the sofa. Hope this helps you out.

Mike