+ Reply to Thread

Question Loose Stair Rail Post

I has been puting a vinyl stair rail on my front porch. After driling into the concrete I put the anchors in the steel post and concrete. As I tightened the anchors the concrete started to crack and the post is not solid. I think the concrete is a limestone of sandstone. What is the best way to fix this post to be solid?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5455.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	3455  

Default Re: Loose Stair Rail Post

any thoughts???

Default Re: Loose Stair Rail Post

You can't un-break the stone. You may be able to take out the things you put in that caused the splitting and use an epoxy to glue the pieces back together, but it's never going to be strong enough to take the force that you were asking of it.
    I think once it's pieced together, drill a suitable deep hole through the slab into the masonry below, and set a stainless threaded bolt with epoxy. A 5/8" bolt should be right. Then use that bolt to fasten a post base to which your post will attach. You may have to use a steel post and slide the vinyl wrap over it. What's inside the vinyl thing anyway to give it rigidity? A newel post is a tricky thing to get solid at any time, your situation was more than a little complicated by material choices and existing conditions.
    S_M
    Last edited by Sombreuil_mongrel; 04-20-2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: spellin'
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.