+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Outdoor wiring

Default Re: Outdoor wiring

[QUOTE=kentvw;42700]
    I'd hate to bother my pet cat with this.
    QUOTE]

I can't say I'd want to bother him either.

I was thinking of stopping by some time but.............
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Just to close the loop...I decided to install a 12V system that uses a 300 watt transformer. I am using stranded THWN wire pulled through conduit...and I will probably solder the fixture connections because I hate those wire piercing thingess. I am not quite sure how to transition from the conduit to the fixture with the wires.. but maybe it is not that critical with LV? I would rather close it out with a box or something...but I am not sure how to attach the fixture to it.

The fixture is made by Hadco model Pathlyte GAL3

http://www.builderssquare.com/xp_835..._Pathlyte.aspx

the PS is more than we need for 8 of these fixtures...but I may want to install something on the outdoor stairs later.

Any comments?

The only comment I would have is to forget the THHN and use what Hadco recommends and cover the connections with "ground cover". THWN is not a direct burial wiring system.

I'm way to biased to have ever gotten involved with this thread. I would be doing bollards on bolt down poured bases.

If you follow directions from the manufacturer I'll give your system 5 to 10 years of life. Do you have a dog? Age reduced to a couple of years.

Must say though, the fixtures are cool, simple fixtures...... I'd be really tempted to weld them up myself from steel square tube and let them rust.

Kent...

Ah ha! So that is what you would do...poured bases. I was baffled as to what you were thinking.

I was thinking of making the fixtures also. I ordered one....gonna check it out to see if I can replicate.

So...is there any way I can use the THWM wire? I bought $55 worth of it and already pulled some through

http://www.vistapro.com/ProductAcc.aspx?ProdID=62

Top left. There is a 1/2" hub on the top. You bury them and leave the single gang cover exposed and above grade. Your PVC conduit can turn-up and just dead end above grade.

If you are interested I can probably make "arrangements" for wholesale pricing for you. (Why did I write that?)

Kent,

Thanks for the link. Just humor me for a moment....what if I put a T ftting (see photo) in the ground and had the conduit come up out of that into the fixture? I know this is not your preferred approach....but it is 12V we are talking about. I figure just about anything is better then laying the cord directly in the ground and using those piercing devices to make the electrical connection
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tfitting.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	1878  

Those tee's are not rated for direct burial.

Something like this maybe?.......... I have been on one very long, boring conference call.........