+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor wiring

Default Re: Outdoor wiring

Okay, will take the time for this post and thatís it.

Do what you want Walt. If you want a little cheap lighting system then go for it. Hey. I installed one in my own back yard at one time. Five to ten years and you will be replacing itÖÖ.. Just fine if that is what you want, nothing but great if that is what you want.

Iíll admit, I am biased at do not deal with resi L/V lighting systems at all. To me it seems like semi-permanent Christmas lighting.

I think I may have walked into something here No worries....I am not as dumb as I look

My intention with these path lights is to spend the money and labor up front and do it right. I do not want to mess around with this year after year.

If the general feeling is L/V stuff is crap....I am OK with that. When I look around at HD I DO get the feeling the LV stuff was designed to be installed safely in an hour or two. This is def. not my intention.

I was prepared to install 120VAC stuff everywhere with conduit from fixture to fixture. Is this the right way to proceed with the goal of doing it right once?

Thanks for your patience...and persistance

-Walt

Just in case it matters, I attached a plan view of the new concrete I am installing. The red lines represent the lights I want to install along the paths. The blue line is a 120VAC line I was running to the outer edge of the patio (for general use on the patio) Most of the blue line is under concrete....which I hav already buried under the pad about 12" down. The red line goes under the concrete only in certain areas. I am trying to get that installed now...so if I need to pull a wire type that is different than the THWN I was planning on using now would be the time.

ANY help with sorting this out is GREATLY appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lights.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	1857  

Quote Originally Posted by waltdeckhouse View Post

ANY help with sorting this out is GREATLY appreciated.
    can't read your diagram can you put it on your photobucket and insert it here instead? if you go to quote my post here you will see the code to do it where i inserted photo below.

Is this the view where the lighting and new patio is planned?

most everything you see in LV at a home store is not worth buying or using and deserves the rep the others are throwing. NOT commercial or professional architectual grade/quality and they're just not true of LV outdoor lighting in general. You get what you pay for with tech lighting and other low quality poorly designed lighting systems. Focus and other quality manufacturers (who by the way make identical line voltage fixtures) and a decent design vision to compliment your unique home can do a lot better then a runway path home center approach.
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 11-26-2008 at 04:26 PM.

in case it matters here is a link to a bigger pic of the layout

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ent=lights.jpg

I am having a tough time with this LV versus 120VAC ligthing issue. There seem to be a lot more fixtures in the style I like in LV. ON the other hand Kent seems to think this stuff will not last. I am not sure what to do. DW seems to like the LV stuff...and I keep pushing towards 120VAC....based on Kent's leanings.

Walt I know of LV systems that have been in for nearly 20 years with little or no problems and system that were replaced after 2 years. I think it is going to depend on the system you get a $3 system from Borg isn't going to hold up but a high end system will. The main thing is to get a good system, do the installation as instructed by the manufacturer and don't shortcut the waterproofing. The lower the voltage the bigger the wires for a given distance to reduce resistance. Dropping 5 volts on a 120 volt system is no big thing but dropping 5 volts on a 12 volt system can be a big problem. By the way I like soldered connections on LV circuits.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

thanks for the readable diagram. was i right about which house view? so what about the trees? your building around them and patio and walk to garage is overtop the oak roots of at least the split are some of the trees being removed or all of them? the tree directly in front of main door is reason for the walkway to take the snaking path mid lawn, yes? is the circle on the diagram the fire hyrant? is the water main key in the center of the walk to the street or to the right of it in the plan? i'm against running Line voltage diagonal from door to opposite corner of patio if the tree remains, oaks connect root systems and don't like digging surface 12-24" trenches so near the base and future root growth will strain the conduit and wires oaks are brutal on conduit might take them a couple of years to suffer but they can. also makes LOCATING the conduit circuit a real PAIN whenever your running diagonal under pavement/patio etc. keep the lines perpindicular and parallel to the existing structure for the main power out to the ped on the far corner of the patio by running parallel to that edge closest to the driveway, this way also you are only crossing paved area the distance/width of the walkway area itself shoudl there be reason to service it again later! blocks or slabs nearly 4' square aren't going to be easy to move, etc. easily noted on diagrams, surveys, etc. against fixed distance and relationship to structural point. trees, walkways, patios can and do shift over time especially on complicated maturing and evolving topography. am also against running exterior line voltage circuit extensions CROSSING overtop the path of water mains and sanitary mains.

how about runnning straight switched power and netural from mid garage behind one of the posts that supports first floor a few windows up from garage corner can still bring the switch to the inside of the front door foyer?

if your keeping all the trees AND want to light risers on stairs and in elevations/retaining walls and such go LV. suggest two transformers same power circuit supply one either photo cell, motion detector or timer the other a switched or remote control switched. yes I would run 3/4" pvc conduit with some clothes line in them for pulling later, in the retaining walls and steps as they are built to fish LV cable. spt-3 heavy guage. do you want a post light between landing of stairs and parking area? how about lighting to mark end of driveway on walk side (or do you have street lights)?

that 18" retaining wall could contain lights to mark the path instead of runway lighting with the usual pathway stuff similar lighting in retaining walls by driveway could mark the zone too and light steps with different lenses and deflectors and lower wattage bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    you did forget though that there has been some time to get the google diploma since those posts
    I'm working on my "GOOGLE" diploma as we speak.
    Wish me luck !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    I'm working on my "GOOGLE" diploma as we speak.
    Wish me luck !!!!!
    Ernie,

You're being far too modest. I googled your name and look what showed up. Says you graduated back in 2007. No need to hide your light under a bushel, my man. Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

If you're thinking of post-grad work....there's someone here on forum who's especially qualified/experienced and would likely help you with that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ernie.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	1858  

****ie .... ROFLMBO
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush