+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor wiring

Default Re: Outdoor wiring

What look am I going for...hmmm. I was thinking of lights that are close to the ground and project a cone across the path. I was thinking of alternating the sides to make it more interesting. On the stairs I was thinking of mounting lights on the handrail and project them on the treads. I have no plans for lighting around the patio....but I know I do not want a big flood light. Maybe something around the edges to cast some light on the surface.

Any thoughts on how I go about this? Does it include running conduit from/to each fixture?

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    I think the NEC doesn't really address low-voltage lighting, as most of the "homeowner-grade" stuff is designed for "temporary" installation, and the NEC doesn't regulate temporary wiring.

Therefore, the designs and construction tend to be shoddy.

Testing labs like UL test for basic safety, not for quality or longevity.

WHAAA???

NEC Article 411 "Lighting Systems Operating at 30 Volts or Less."

NEC Article 590 "Temporary Installations" Which includes a 90 day limit for "Holiday Lighting" (590.3) and, 590.5 which requires that holiday and similar wiring shall be listed.

Quote Originally Posted by waltdeckhouse View Post
    What look am I going for...hmmm. I was thinking of lights that are close to the ground and project a cone across the path. I was thinking of alternating the sides to make it more interesting. On the stairs I was thinking of mounting lights on the handrail and project them on the treads. I have no plans for lighting around the patio....but I know I do not want a big flood light. Maybe something around the edges to cast some light on the surface.

Any thoughts on how I go about this? Does it include running conduit from/to each fixture?
    Ideas? Here:
    http://www.landscapelightinguniverse.com/

I don't think all LV lighting is inherently bad or evil. I just think that there are some companies that rush products to market with little thought to design and companies and reps that I deal with as a contractor that refuse to stand behind their products. I donít think that using say type UF cable or other factory type exterior/burial LV cable is bad either. Iíve just seen too many yards strung with speaker cable or zip cord for LV lighting.

I guess my real bias comes from the fact that I do commercial type work and exterior lighting is designed to last for years and stand up to use and abuse.

Kent,

I am a little confused. RU waying LV for path lighting is OK? Is it the fixtures you think are low quality? Or is it the typical installation (just laying wire on the ground) that you think leads to a problematic setup?

What brand of fixture (in your experience) is worthwhile?

As always, your help is greatly appreciated.

-Walt

I realize this may be a silly question

If I run plastic conduit outdoors (underground), is it ok to run low voltage and 120VAC inside the same section of tubing?

I have not made a decision about the walkway fixtures....but IF I decided to use LV fixtures what type of wire should I pull through the conduit? I realize I have to use type UF for 120VAC.

Is it OK to make a splice in one of those small WP junction boxes? If so, do I need to do anything special like wrap the wire nut and wires in tape?

BTW...I was only able to find THHN stranded wire at the local HD. Is that OK for this application?

Thanks for all the help.

As long as it is a true box and not a conduit body like an lb or pulling ell you can splice in it. We do not tape wrap wirenuts. I'd bet dollars to donuts that if you looked at the wire insulation you would read THHN/THWN on the side of it, but, to answer your question THHN is rated damp and dry locations. THWN is rated for wet locations. Once the conduit goes underground it's considered a wet location.

OK...thanks so much for the tips.

-W

Quote Originally Posted by waltdeckhouse View Post
    I have not made a decision about the walkway fixtures....but IF I decided to use LV fixtures what type of wire should I pull through the conduit? I realize I have to use type UF for 120VAC.
    for low voltage you use SPT cable either 12/2 10/2 or 8/2 depending on the distance (for voltage drop) and the watts you pull off your transformer. you can use goop and wire nuts or filled wire nuts or special connectors for splices. the better systems use sealed connectors the cheaper ones use piercing ones.