+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tbar ceiling

Default Tbar ceiling

what i got is a 50'long warehouse with about a 20'high ceiling and 18'wide. both ends have huge roll up doors. im going to make the front end in to a little store. so what i want to do is this...
    strap both side walls with 2x4 and a wall across to make the back of the storeand drywall. i only wanted to make walls about 9' high and put a tbar ceiling in at 8'. now being that my original ceiling is like 20' can i hang my tbar from that or am i better off to put some kind of truss on top of my wall. and would 2x4 by enough of a truss remembering that are span is min 16'. thanks for any imput

Default Re: Tbar ceiling

You would be better off with 9' walls and run joists and nailers so you can hang an 8' ceiling. If you went from the 20' ceiling you wouldn't be able to use any of the space above the room addition (storage) from all the tie wire suspending the ceiling.

Default Re: Tbar ceiling

Quote Originally Posted by curtis196 View Post
    what i got is a 50'long warehouse with about a 20'high ceiling and 18'wide. both ends have huge roll up doors. im going to make the front end in to a little store. so what i want to do is this...
    strap both side walls with 2x4 and a wall across to make the back of the storeand drywall. i only wanted to make walls about 9' high and put a tbar ceiling in at 8'. now being that my original ceiling is like 20' can i hang my tbar from that or am i better off to put some kind of truss on top of my wall. and would 2x4 by enough of a truss remembering that are span is min 16'. thanks for any imput
    as far as dropping an accoustical ceiling and supported by hanger wires from the upper deck. what you are talking about is done every day in commercial construction. you want to make sure that your ceiling on the mains has a hanger wire every four feet and on the lights need all four corners supported. though I would put the ceiling at 9 ft and the reason is that in larger open rooms an 8 ft ceiling has the tendency to have more of a cave apperance and the extra foot in height leaves it looking much larger