+ Reply to Thread

Default What the Best Method to Heat/Cool 2nd Story Bungalow

We are in the process of remodeling our 2nd story Bungalow due to ventilation issue and roof seepage. Our plan is to turn the large space into a master bedroom/bath. We are stump what the do about heating and cooling the space. Currently, the area has only 1 heating vent and no cold air return.

One contractor has suggested a heat pump, but we have heard that this would be loud and overrated for the space and could cause moister issues. It has also been suggested baseboard heating with window AC units. My husband and I don't so much object to the heating but both have some health issue which would make dealing with the moving of the window unit a problem. Also, suggested was a remote heating-A/C unit for the area but wall space for positioning the unit is not optimal. Running additional vents has also been suggest but we only have room for one 4x10 supply and return and have been told this would not be great for A/C.

We don't know which way go and any advice would be appreciated. We live in Bay Village, Ohio which is a western suburb or Cleveland. Can you help us?

Default Re: What the Best Method to Heat/Cool 2nd Story Bungalow

colettaa:

I'm not sure I understand your post---it sounds like you are saying you have a 1 1/2 story bungalow & that you want to heat & cool the 2nd floor, as part of a remodel of same.

I encourage you to consult the Yellow Pages under "Heating Contractors" and have a few more heating/cooling experts over to see what they suggest.

Generally, it's usually best for low fuel cost and comfort to try & tie the upper part of the house in with the existing heating system (sounds like forced hot air)---if several techs have already said this is not possible, I would favor forced hot water baseboard and a mini-split ductless AC unit, instead of the AC window units.

Ductless mini splits are expensive, approx. $4k but have many advantages over the alternatives---if $4k is too rich, you can have a single "thru the wall" AC unit put in for approx. $1k.

Keep at it, if you consult with enough heating techs, eventually you will get a clear idea of the best way to go.
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 04-19-2010 at 09:28 AM.