+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Copper plumbing

Default Copper plumbing

My wife and I are having a home built in Northwest Indiana. Copper piping is the source throughout the house, PVC is used for waste. The installation was completed around 2.5 months ago (8/08). Shortly afterward, when reviewing the basement, the piping and work looked fine. Upon a recent visit (10/31/08), there was quite a bit of corrosion (white/flaky and dark green) on many areas and different pipes that are visible in the basement. There didn't appear to be current leaks (no dripping or puddles). What could be causing this and what would you recommend to solve this? What can we do to protect ourselves going forward and before closing on the purchase?

I work out of town. We had a terrible amount of rain and flooding over a 2 day period in September. The builder swears that the basement was dry and that there was no flooding (but we had to ask). Your thoughts and recommendations are appreciated.

Default Re: Copper plumbing

Copper will corrode just like other metals will...what you are seeing is corrosion, and it should not cause an issue. The greenish stuff you are seeing is normal. The pipe would not have to get wet, but the high humidity of the air would allow corrosion to take place. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Default Re: Copper plumbing

quite a bit of corrosion (white/flaky and dark green) on many areas and different pipes that are visible in the basement. There didn't appear to be current leaks (no dripping or puddles). What could be causing this
    If this is around the soldered joints ...... I'll bet the plumber doesn't wipe off the joint after soldering .... that removes the excess flux which shows slight corrosion in that area.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush