+ Reply to Thread

Red face adding to backsplash behind new stove

Hello,
    We live in an 1860's house, with a kitchen that was "remodeled" to be "old" in the 1950's. The walls are the tin-look wallpaper below a chair rail. The backsplash is the same tin-look wallpaper. All of this wallpaper is painted red, which really looks good! We just had to replace our our double-oven range, with a single oven and microhood. So now we have wall that is not covered with the wallpaper. We would like to put up either the same kind of wallpaper, and paint it red, or do some other kind of backsplash behind the range. Since the range is in the middle of the wall, the wallpaper stops on each side of the range. Can we just cut into the existing wallpaper and patch-in with new? Or, do we need something more heat resistant?
    Thank you for any help! Margaret

Default Re: adding to backsplash behind new stove

Hello,
    We live in an 1860's house, with a kitchen that was "remodeled" to be "old" in the 1950's. The walls are the tin-look wallpaper below a chair rail. the same tin-look wallpaper. All of this wallpaper is painted red, which really looks good! We just had to replace our our double-oven range, with a single oven and . So now we have wall that is not covered with the wallpaper. We would like to put up either the same kind of wallpaper, and paint it red, or do some other kind of behind the range. Since the range is in the middle of the wall, the wallpaper stops on each side of the range. Can we just cut into the existing wallpaper and patch-in with new? Or, do we need something more heat resistant?
    Thank you for any help! Margaret

I think the ease of cleaning and "what you like the look of" is more at issue than the heat resistance. After all, above millions of stoves there is simply paper faced drywall that has been painted. Although if you use a vinyl wallpaper maybe that would tend to react to a lower temp than drywall paper & paint, I don't know. Anybody know the temp range specs for vinyl wallpaper?

If you have access to matching wall paper and like the look then patch it in matching the pattern with what is there already. Or take the opportunity to make a decorative focal point above the stove and tile it.

That house was build in 1860's but dear you live in 2008's. So their is new technology called "Fire Resistant Walls". Actually this is the cement made by portland company which is heat and fire resistant. This mean you can easily change your kitchen with your own style.

Their is no need of cement when in 2008's market have fire resistant cement. The Intumescent paint coating protection your walls from heat and fire. Just paint your walls and take easy.
    Knowledgement of Hidden Content and Hidden Content .

Thanks for your kind information. Please tell me the exact name of fire resist paint. I want to purchase for my new office.

Stove hat is best for this purpose. In my home i build special stainless steal stove hat and always preferred to all others.

hi,

i will suggest you to go with any one of the following paints:
    ICI paints,Miller paints or O'Brien paints.I have used ICI paints already and it showed good results.
    You can take Hidden Content to start Hidden Content .

Default adding to backsplash behind new stove

***I thought I posted this but it never came up so, I did something wrong but, if it does show please forgive me for the double deal ok guys?

Because of the great help I got here my last 2 projects came out great and I'm back again. Thank you!!!

My folks have an older mobile home.
    The backsplash is formica and seems to be like hardboard (the thickness and texture of) and the usual paneling seems to be behind that.
    They just replaced the counters with quartz/silestone.

Wanting to use 12" ceramic or porcelin on the backsplash behind the range and under a cabinet along the same wall. It is solid, no flexing, bubbles, cuts, etc.

Can we use adhesive/mastic? And should we rough the surface first?

We want to start this right away (as usual) so any help asap is appreciated!

Thanks again in advance!