+ Reply to Thread

Red face exposed horse hairs in horse hair plaster...

We have an 1810 Federal home and have gotten to wall painting. The wallpaper is only one layer, and pulls off easily with no water or additives. BUT, underneath is raised, dried glue, I tried to get it off with hot water...and this DOES work...but with the scrubbing also comes the plaster and now there is exposed hairs sticking out? Should I go about this different? The walls are in such great condition I sooo dont want to ruin them. Should I try a little vinegar instead in the water? Or avoid the scrubbing altogether? I was planning on putting on an oil primer and then a latex paint...but I am thinking the hairs are going to show....HELP!

Default Re: exposed horse hairs in horse hair plaster...

Periwinkkids,

One possible solution is to not remove the old paste if there is no sign of mold, but to hang a plain paintable canvas liner over the old paste. The old paste will act as a "sizing" giving additonal hold to the slick plaster. Liner canvas was often hung on brand new plaster in ages past because it controlled hairline cracks. It also gave the ability to strip off several coats of built-up paint by merely pulling the canvas off and starting over. Once hung and allowed to dry, the canvas can be painted like a normal wall.

If you want to try to remove the old paste in preparation for painting, try using a product such as DIF and scrub with a 3M green scrubby pad. Try to work rapidly as to not overly saturate the plaster. Do only small sections at a time, so that the wall does not begin to dry out before you can get to it. I like to use a pressurized sprayer to rapidly get the water on the wall. The biggest mistake in getting paste off is not getting the paste wet enough and then having to scrub too much. To control the water running down, tape strips of plastic to the baseboard with 2inch masking tape, then roll the plastic toward the wall to form a trough. Keep mopping up the water as it collects.
    After the paste is off and the wall has dried out, prime it with a good acrylic wall primer. Check for and patch imperfections when the primer is dry. I personally like dry wall compound for patching minor impervections. It dries rapidly and sands easily. Then spot prime your patches. Imperfections needing patching show up much better on a wall that has been blanked out white with primer.

Thank you for your advice. So...I think I dont want to put up a liner paper...for the same reasons I dont like painted wallpaper and I had initially thought I was going to do that in fear the walls would crumble. So far though pulling it off has revealed beautiful walls so I want to continue in this vein.
    I am getting the glue off with a scrubbing sponge just fine but the hairs are showing up sticking out...there are so far no cracks at all but the scrubbing does cause little hills and valleys and not a super smooth surface. Should I just prime and paint over this...expecting that some imperfections are expected but will be reduced by the layer of primer and then painting? Or should I skimcoat over the plaster and then sand that before priming and painting?
    Thanks in advance!

Oh wait...I reread your answer...you think I should prime first and then see where it is at and go from there I need more coffee...........good idea. I will continue with the water and sponge and then prime it tomorrow....