+ Reply to Thread

Default 1st-Time Buyer with Boiler System

We just bought an old home in the Southeast that has a hot-water boiler system, fueled by oil. It hasn't been turned on in many years since no one has lived in the house full-time since the 80's.

Is there anything I need to be aware of, or check, before flipping on the thermostat to fire up the system?

The fuel tank was checked. It contains oil and is not leaking.

Any advice is appreciated!

Default Re: 1st-Time Buyer with Boiler System

If it hasn't been on in several years you should have a technician come and check things out to make sure everything is in good working condition and sealed properly especially the flue. Who knows what kind of critters may have crawled inside of things, chew on wires, etc. Also the oil in the tank is most likely not very good anymore. #2 heating oil is essentially diesel fuel and it will absorb water after sitting for a period of time usually about 6 months without using and re-filling. The fuel oil can also grow stuff in it if it sits to long due to the water. Your best bet is to have it pumped out and fresh oil put in once the boiler is cleaned out. Hope this helps you out.

Mike

Smile Re: 1st-Time Buyer with Boiler System

Quote Originally Posted by belamonster View Post
    We just bought an old home in the Southeast that has a hot-water boiler system, fueled by oil. It hasn't been turned on in many years since no one has lived in the house full-time since the 80's.

Is there anything I need to be aware of, or check, before flipping on the thermostat to fire up the system?

The fuel tank was checked. It contains oil and is not leaking.

Any advice is appreciated!
    i would have it looked at by a professional heating technicianand after setting i would consider having the tank drained and filled with fresh fuel

im not a professional but i feel this is good advice

Default Re: 1st-Time Buyer with Boiler System

Ditto on the above, why blow your house up or die from CO poisoning.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb