+ Reply to Thread

Default Replaced sanitary tee with vent tee?

I am in the process of remodeling my bathroom and had to move a pvc lav. drain over a few inches. To make a long story short, I stupidly put a standard vent tee where I should have put a sanitary tee. Of course I didn't notice until I had the drywall up. Should I be concerened - Is it worth taking the drywall down and replacing it? Thanks

Default Re: Replaced sanitary tee with vent tee?

It should not be a major problem. Most plugged up bathroom sinks are caused by hair collecting on the stopper lift lever. In the event that 10 years from now you have clean out the tee it is not hard to get to and it would be good for several more years. If you had done it to the kitchen sink, I would be inclined to recommend removal, but not in this case.

Have fun when you have to snake the line.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I agree, snakeing the line in the future may not work. There is a reason it's called a "vent tee", the transition from horizontal to vertical is tighter than a "sanitary tee", and that will become self evident when you have to snake the line.
    I would suggest that if there is enough room, open up the wall below where you put in the vent tee and cut in a cleanout tee. Then patch the wall and install a wall cleanout cover plate so you can snake the waste line down and below the floor in the future. This way you can maitain the off set for the new sink location. Best of luck.

Also, there will be far better drain flow with a sanitary "T" .
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I would agree that the sanitary tee is much preferred over the vent tee, so if you are going to open the wall up go ahead and replace it. But 98% of the drains that I have unplugged were at the first tee and I could clear them with a 1/4" all thread rod that I bent a small 90 on one end and a larger 90 on the other end for a handle. Just reach into through the pipe to the tee and work the small end of the rod up and down--cleared it every time and it did not need snaked. I know my experienced is limited, but seldom have I seen a plugged ABS or PVC bathroom drain.