+ Reply to Thread

Default What thickness of sheetrock to use

We are remodeling our kitchen and in the material purchasing stage. I need help deciding what thickness sheetrock to use on the ceiling. Lighter would be easier but is there a reason NOT to use 3/8" on a 16" on center ceiling?

Default Re: What thickness of sheetrock to use

Useing 3/8" you'll usually have problems with sagging over time.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

5/8" should be used on ceilings however ive used 1/2"many times on ceilings and havent had any trouble

5/8" would keep you covered as far as preventing sag and satisfying code issues. My drywall installer has talked of a reinforced 1/2" that is rated for ceilings, though I've never seen it available at your typical DIY supply house.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    5/8" would keep you covered as far as preventing sag and satisfying code issues. My drywall installer has talked of a reinforced 1/2" that is rated for ceilings, though I've never seen it available at your typical DIY supply house.
    you are probally talking about sag resistant 1/2 inch drywall
    http://www.usg.com/navigate.do?resou...ling_Board.htm

but for 16 in o.c. just regular 1/2 inch is fine

As mentioned, I've not seen it or seen it used, only heard about it. It sounds interesting, certainly. I'm curious what cost difference there is between 1/2" regular, 1/2" reinforced, and 5/8" drywall. Beyond weight of handling and install is always the cost factor.

I really haven't used it much because most all my work has been comercial. haven't bought enough of it to even remember cost comparison. though I will say that if you have a drywall supplier they will be cheaper than lowes or homedepot, by probally a buck and a half per board. around here we have seacoast and csr rinker and a couple of smaller ones I prefer csr rinker