In Washington state (I think), the IBC (International Building Code) covers most construction, IPC (International Plumbing Code) covers plumbing, and the NEC (National Electrical Code) covers all things electrical. For other specialty trades, there are other "International X Codes".

Incidentally, none of these codes are written by government agencies; however local & state government agencies decree which codes they plan to use as a standard. Many cities, counties, and states have their own local amendments to the codes.