+ Reply to Thread

Default Prevent Toilet Clog

How do I prevent the clog? My 89yr old mom has Alzheimer's. As typical with dementia patients, they clog the toilet-can't remember to flush each time or put things into the toilet and then flush.

I have installed an auto flush device (for tank toilets) and an over flow detector with water shut off device. This stops the resulting damage from a overflow, but that doesn't stop things getting flushed and having to have the sewer line unclogged. Expensive plumber visit. This can be wash cloths, clothing and even constipation issues from medication (need I say more).

Has anyone seen a way to deal with stopping things going down the toilet? There is a product called T****x but it is for hospital facilities, not residential use.

Any ideas (besides just using a portable toilet) would be helpful.

Default Re: Prevent Toilet Clog

I work for a Health care facility and I understand what you are describing. Unfortunately the only positive way to stop the plugged toilets is having a responsible person do the actual flushing. Perhaps if you removed the handle off the toilet. Then add an extension chain to the flapper chain. You could extend the chain through the hole where the handle was. By pulling the chain you should be able to get the flapper to work. Your mom might figure it out, but maybe not. This may not be a good idea at all, but God bless you for caring for your mom.

Default Re: Prevent Toilet Clog

I wonder is replacing it with a composting toilet would work?

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb