+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bathroom renovation

I am renovating my bathroom which consists of a tub/shower combination. Can I install blue board throughout the entire bathroom or should I install cement board around the tub?
    I plan to tile the shower/tub area with 6" ceramic tiles.

Thumbs up Re: Bathroom renovation

I recently installed a Schluter membrane system over Densarmor plus glass mat sheetrock. Schluter systems claims that you can use standard 1/2" sheetrock with their membrane system as it is a water and vapor barrier. Don't know if I would do that, but I do recommend the Schluter product. I did not use Denshield as it has a membrane surface and would not allow the thinset to cure properly. (It would be between 2 water impermeable layers). You should check out the Schluter system.

Default Re: Bathroom renovation

Hi,

I'm not sure about the tub in the shower area. Not that it can't
    be made to work, just because I haven't seen it done like that
    before. The tub is a top set that has a tile ledge around three
    sides for tiling the walls.

Hi, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

I'd go for cement arounf the tub if I were you!

Cement board is durable and waterproof and blue board is water and mould resistant.

I'd go for cement.

Good luck with your bathroom planning.
    Fred Hidden Content

Love Hidden Content from Jones & Co

Although cement board underlayment is unaffected by the presence of water (it won't break down when wet) it unfortunately is no barrier to moisture, and needs some kind of supplementary vapor barrier to avoid framing damage long-term. It's great if coated with a liquid, roll-on waterproofer like redguard, or a waterproof membrane like Kerdi.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Before you start renovating, you’ll want to think about your bathroom, your needs and your budget.I just want to say that Reflecting on your project will also help you to decide whether you need the services of a professional.

I just had my bathroom remodeled. I designed the bathroom, it was small and out dated (big old sink and cabinet and old worn tub). I had the tub and sink removed, and the toilet moved. I put a dividing wall up where the tub had once been and put a shower on one side of the wall and the toilet on the other. Where the toilet had once been, I had the sink installed. I also had a new window installed. I had 4ft. high wainscoting put up. Actually, my husband and son did all the work. It came out so beautifully that people haven't stopped complementing it. Without knowing the dimensions or what you really want it's hard to say what you can do, but be imaginative.

The most important part of bathroom renovations is in the planning. After you worked out your budget and decided what exactly you can afford, you should carefully plan the steps you should follow. Ask the help of a plumber if you are not sure which steps to follow.

Chris