+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Window cleaning

Unhappy Window cleaning

I bought my house new in 2001. In 7 years, I've never been able to clean my windows. I've tried Windex, liquid ammonia, ammonium flouride, and pumice. The windows appear to be clean, but when the sunshines through them, they look like they're covered in a greasy film. What were new windows coated with in 2001, and how can I get them clean??

Default Re: Window cleaning

After you've cleaned the windows and allowed them to dry completely, go back and buff them with a clean, dry towel. This will clear the haze that is the residue of the cleaner and the dirt on the window. It will also help keep the windows cleaner longer because that residue isn't there to attract new dust and dirt as readily.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Wondering............ Hey Spruce............. Will you come over and clean my windows? Mirrors as well?............. Appreciate it.............. You will need an extention ladder.............

Sorry, I don't do windows, but I'd be happy to hold your beer for ya whilst you are doing them.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I've tried Windex, liquid ammonia, ammonium flouride, and pumice.
    That's a lot of chemicals.

Some folks swear by using vinegar and water for cleaning windows.

If this film is on the surface of the windows and not in between panes of dual pane glass .... a tip I learned a long time ago from a commercial window washer is to simply use liquid dish soap and a squeegee ..... works for me.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    After you've cleaned the windows and allowed them to dry completely, go back and buff them with a clean, dry towel. This will clear the haze that is the residue of the cleaner and the dirt on the window. It will also help keep the windows cleaner longer because that residue isn't there to attract new dust and dirt as readily.
    I've tried that. Buffed them with a cotton cloth and a chamois. There is really something on these things that won't come off. It's on every window. I'll try the vinegar and water. If basic solutions aren't doing the trick, maybe acid.

Is the film on the outside of the glass where you're cleaning or is it between the panels (assuming dual pane windows )?

If the film is between, there is no cleaning or repair that can be done, the glass will need to be replaced.

If the film is on the surface, have you ever gotten little balls to roll off while buffing the window? It's possible that when they were installed, the installer inadvertently smeared silicone sealant, causing your current problem. Have you tried scraping the windows with a fresh single edged razor blade. Use care not to scratch the glass.

rubbing alcohol more than 80 percent sometimes works to remove the streaky film. then re-wash with a drop of detergent and squeegie. buff dry with newspaper that only has black ink no colors.

When I worked for a construction company, I cleaned their model houses. The lawn sprinklers would overspray onto the windows, leaving a mineral film. The only way I could remove this was with an acid wash.

The particular stuff I used was called "Bath Brite" but the main ingredient was phosphoric acid. I'd spread it on with a damp scrubber sponge (pink & white). Then I'd scrub it with the sponge and rinse it off. (By the way, the green Scotch Brite scrubbers are too harsh and can scratch the glass. Maybe it was cheap glass.)

Before you say the sprinklers need to be adjusted... this was in a VERY windy area.