+ Reply to Thread

Default Hanging a flatscreen TV in a cabinet?

Hi All,
    I've just finished building and installing the carcass of a new entertainment center installed in a built-in niche 8'h x 6'w and now I want to "hang" my 52" flatscreen in the cabinet then trim around it to give it a custom built-in look. The back of the cabinet is not nearly strong enough to support an articulating mount, and I really don't need one anyway, so my thought was to build a small stud wall behind the TV attached to the top and bottom of the TV section, and mount a fixed LCD/Plasma mount that's set back the depth of the TV so the TV is flush with the faceframe. Does that sound like a reasonable approach?

If so, how would you recommend attaching the stud wall to the top and bottom of the TV section (top and bottom are each 2 sheets of 3/4" birch ply laminated together. I was thinking of lag screws, but if a bolt/nut combination is necessary, then that's an option too, although not preferred.
    Thanks for your help,
    Bill

Default Re: Hanging a flatscreen TV in a cabinet?

If I understand this right .... you want to secure this framing from simply moving.

If they're just preventing any lateral movement and not supporting the hanging of the big screen......... wood screws will all that's needed.

Number 8 woods screws would be plenty strong.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    If I understand this right .... you want to secure this framing from simply moving.

If they're just preventing any lateral movement and not supporting the hanging of the big screen......... wood screws will all that's needed.

Number 8 woods screws would be plenty strong.
    The stud wall will have a TV mount attached to it and will have the TV hung from it just like if it were a flatscreen TV hung on a wall, so it will be supporting the weight of the 60 pound TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
    Hi All,
    I've just finished building and installing the carcass of a new entertainment center installed in a built-in niche 8'h x 6'w and now I want to "hang" my 52" flatscreen in the cabinet then trim around it to give it a custom built-in look. The back of the cabinet is not nearly strong enough to support an articulating mount, and I really don't need one anyway, so my thought was to build a small stud wall behind the TV attached to the top and bottom of the TV section, and mount a fixed LCD/Plasma mount that's set back the depth of the TV so the TV is flush with the faceframe. Does that sound like a reasonable approach?

If so, how would you recommend attaching the stud wall to the top and bottom of the TV section (top and bottom are each 2 sheets of 3/4" birch ply laminated together. I was thinking of lag screws, but if a bolt/nut combination is necessary, then that's an option too, although not preferred.
    Thanks for your help,
    Bill

The stud wall will have a TV mount attached to it and will have the TV hung from it just like if it were a flatscreen TV hung on a wall, so it will be supporting the weight of the 60 pound TV.

Bill ..... the screws attaching the "stud wall " to the cabinet won't matter since they are simply holding it in place and preventing lateral movement. Number 8 screws ... 2 1/2 - 3 inch long would be plenty strong.
    So ... depending on how this " stud wall " is constructed ..... 2 screws in the top and 2 in the bottom of each stud along with a couple from the back will work.

Since you are using a purchased flat screen mount ..... the fasteners included should be the ones used to fasten the mounting bracket to this " stud wall " .... typically they would be sized assuming they will be fastened into a 2x4.

Hope this helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush