+ Reply to Thread

Default connecting plaster to drywall ceiling repair

My brother in law refinished his kitchen, replacing the plaster ceiling with drywall. Later he removed a wall between the kitchen and dining room/living room. (Those ceilings were still plaster.) Although he did an excellent job mudding the seam it has since cracked several times. He says it will always crack as one is drywall and the other plaster. I was wondering if there is some new product available that has some expansion quality to it that he could use instead of regular joint compound. I know there are paintable caulks available. Also would mesh tape be better here? Thank you.

Default Re: connecting plaster to drywall ceiling repair

Did he tape the seams where the new drywall meets the old plaster? I prefer fiberglass tape to paper.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Did he tape the seams where the new drywall meets the old plaster? I prefer fiberglass tape to paper.
    Yes he did although I don't know which kind of tape he used. He's pretty experienced and since he's done it several times I'm guessing he tried both kinds. The seams looked great at first each time.

Catherine,

If the surfaces are stable, the patches should hold. You indicate that a wall was removed. Perhaps the area is now subjected to stresses/movement which did not exist before the remodel.

In an effort to obtain open look architecture, often supportive structures such as archways oor headers are removed. I do hope that wall was not a supporting wall! I have patched numerous ceiling cracks over the years in "L-Shape" living/dining rooms. The outside corner is subject to settleing and the crack continues to reappear, regardless of how good the patch was. The ceiling drywall is actually cracked. If the settling has ceased, replacing of that cracked section of drywall can affect a permanent fix.

Thank you so much for your responses. I am pretty sure the removed wall wasn't load bearing but I will forward your response to my brother in law. Thanks again.
    catherine~