+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Plumber laid asphalt is collapsing - should I be freaking out?

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I accept cash, checks, and all major credit cards ...

You're welcome.
    I can only offer thanks and handshakes.

So today is the first major rain since I first posted this. I'm dreading what I'll find tonight when I get home from work, especially since nothing has been done.

Since it seems like my plumber may have gone AWOL on this, any ideas where I can buy (?) dirt so I can at least throw something in the hole for now?

Dirt is usually pretty easy to come by, just take a little out of a flowerbed or some other inconspicuous place. If necessary, find yourself an empty lot where you could take a few shovel fulls.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JCurls View Post
    I can only offer thanks and handshakes.

So today is the first major rain since I first posted this. I'm dreading what I'll find tonight when I get home from work, especially since nothing has been done.

Since it seems like my plumber may have gone AWOL on this, any ideas where I can buy (?) dirt so I can at least throw something in the hole for now?
    I'm glad you didn't send him money, we have enough trouble keeping him out of the Rum.

Might I suggest you pick up some gravel to fill. It will provide a better base for new asphalt after the ground settles and is less likely to be washed away.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I'm glad you didn't send him money, we have enough trouble keeping him out of the Rum.

Might I suggest you pick up some gravel to fill. It will provide a better base for new asphalt after the ground settles and is less likely to be washed away.
    Jack
    Rum eh? Sounds tasty!

I came home from work yesterday evening to a pleasant surprise, the hole and cracks were filled and patched, so it's back to looking normal. I'm going to take your advice and do my best to pack it down sooner than later. I drove my car back and forth over it a bit and it did compress, but not as significantly as it had been over the past week or so.

I wound up picking up a shovel (this is all new to me, I've been an apartment dweller my entire adult life), and found an area in the back yard that I can dig to use for earth if needed in the future.

Thanks for the gravel tip as well, I'll keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by MBeach View Post
    Rum eh? Sounds tasty! .
    It is, as long as it's the good stuff.

My current favorite is Mount Gay, a Jamaican rum which is very good and reasonably priced.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by deadshort View Post
    Ummmmmmmmmm............... Well, never mind.......
    Yeah, I know, bad name - even without your editing help ...