+ Reply to Thread

Arrow Propane Tank Gauge

Does anyone know where I could get a gauge for a propane tank? I have seen one in one catalog, but it looked cheap. I can't find one at local hardware stores.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what brand or type is the best to buy? Never bought one or know of anyone that has a gauge, so I didn't want to waste my money.

Thanks,
    Allison

Default Re: Propane Tank Gauge

Most of the cheap gauges use pressure or temperature to indicate gas level within, neither is an accurate method of guesstimation. There is a scale designed for BBQ tanks that is supposed to be very accurate in guesstimating the gas level.

Assuming this tank is in a BBQ, what I normally do is check the tank in advance of the meal I intend to cook by lifting and shaking gently. I can tell by the weight and the sound of the slosh if there will be enough for the cooking period I need. If you do much BBQing at all, having a second tank on hand is a good thing, that way you don't have to worry about running out of gas at all, you just swap the tanks, then get the empty filled as soon as possible.

If the tank in question is for home heating purposes, you can guesstimate your usage by multiplying the tank size (in gallons ) times the BTU rating of propane (approx. 90,000 btu/gallon ) and divide by the BTU rating of your furnace per hour. There may be a gauge for fuel tanks, check with your provider.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!