+ Reply to Thread

Default fireplace insert - catalytic converter

Greetings!! We have a fireplace insert that heats/burns well but am wondering if the catalytic converter should be somehow cleaned or serviced? We had the chimney cleaned last year but forgot to ask about the c.c. Anyone have an opinion?

Default Re: fireplace insert - catalytic converter

What is the make / model of your insert?

Wink Re: fireplace insert - catalytic converter

Bravo for you using a catalytic converter. Recycling the smoke back and burning it off is such a better idea than the conventional smoke stack.
    Years ago (30) we heated with a wood furnace that had a catalytic converter. We didn't need to clean the chimney because there was no creosote build up. The only problem we had was the water dripping to the bottom of the chimney. I hope they have corrected this as it contained creosote.
    Sorry I can't help you with your particular problem. I only know that we did not clean ours, but that was many, many moons ago.
    Wildflower

Rather than sit out the storm, learn to dance in the rain!
    Hidden Content

I have a Vermont Casting wood stove with a catalytic converter I would imagine that you need to clean the unit before each season. Without the cleaning the catalytic converter will not function as efficiently as it was designed to which will cause creosote to build up in your chimney.

I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    What is the make / model of your insert?
    Thank-you all for your replies! I believe it was manufactured by a company called Derco from Sand Hill wholesale? It's called the Grizzly as it has a Grizzly bear etched in the glass doors. How exactly do I clean a catalytic converter?