+ Reply to Thread

Default Why do I need a gear on a battery drill ?

Hello all,
    I am looking into buying a new cordless drill and wandered what the gear switch on those drills is really for. Let me explain. I understand that the gear changes the speed of the drills, but does the switch on those drill not also do the same thing ?
    Just wondering if someone could help me understand what the "gear-thing" is all about?
    Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Why do I need a gear on a battery drill ?

The speed on a drill should be changed depending on the size of the drill bit or hardness of the material being drilled. Softer faster, harder slower. This would help keep the drill from bouncing around when the hole is started and keep. the drill from burning out.

The speed on a drill should be changed depending on the size of the drill bit or hardness of the material being drilled. Softer faster, harder slower. This would help keep the drill from bouncing around when the hole is started and keep the drill from burning out.

Dual speed drills is actually quite handy. For low torque needs it's nice to be able to run faster in the high speed. When the going gets tough, gearing down is great! Low speed not only helps with drilling holes, as Sten mentioned, it reduces stripping out the heads of screws and rounding off driver tips. If you were to buy a drill with only a low speed or only a high speed, you will be left wanting for a different drill.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Any switch (electronics) will loose you power while regulating speed down. If you really want to get out the best torque of your battery drill you will need at least 2 or even more gears on your drill.
    There are various professional drills on the market which have a larger amount of gear settings:
    http://www.insidewoodworking.com/battery-drills.html
    I think Makita has one too, which come with 3 or more gears to adjust the speed.
    Owning an old Dewalt 12 volt drill with two gear settings, I can say it comes in handy when you really need the power driving screws in at high torque.

The trigger is the accelerator, the speed selector is the transmission. With it you select for increased speed or increased torque to tailor to the task.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.