+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting silicon caulk

I saw an article or suggestion in a magazine yesterday that suggests that if you have silicon caulk and you want to paint, first paint it with sanding sealer and then the paint will hold. I haven't tried it yet but thought I would put it out here in case one of you runs into such a situation and wanted to try it before digging the caulk out.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Painting silicon caulk

Never heard of that one. What I have done is to cover the silicone with a good quality latex caulk and paint over that. It keeps the paint from crawling and has worked well for me.

i use kilz in a spray can and spray in on the caulk it makes the caulk flat sheen

Quote Originally Posted by J Roper View Post
    Never heard of that one. What I have done is to cover the silicone with a good quality latex caulk and paint over that. It keeps the paint from crawling and has worked well for me.
    Appreciate the confirmation. I have a situation where silicone was used and I want to paint over it. Thanks

I have yet to find a means of painting directly over silicone, my suspicion is that this is yet another urban myth perpetrated by the over-use and misuse of silicone caulk. The only means that I have personally used to paint over silicone is to remove the silicone as completely as humanly possible, reapply latex or beutyl caulk, and follow with primer and paint.

IF you can get latex caulk to stick to the silicone (for more than a month or two ) that MAY be a means of prepping a silicone base for paint. I've spent too many years trying to clean up silicone failures to ever recommend it's use for any purpose what-so-ever!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I have to agree with Spruce. I have never found anything that would stick to silicon, even shellac , which will stick to almost anything. The irony is that even silicon caulk won't stick to silicon! You have to dig it out and try to abraid the residue away.

Wherever a caulk is neccessary coming up against paint, avoid pure silicon. For interior use, I prefer an acrylic based,silicon fortified caulk. For exterior use, I prefer urethane based caulks such as Vulkem or Sonneborn.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    I have to agree with Spruce. I have never found anything that would stick to silicon, even shellac , which will stick to almost anything. The irony is that even silicon caulk won't stick to silicon! You have to dig it out and try to abraid the residue away.

Wherever a caulk is neccessary coming up against paint, avoid pure silicon. For interior use, I prefer an acrylic based,silicon fortified caulk. For exterior use, I prefer urethane based caulks such as Vulkem or Sonneborn.
    I absolutely agree, and not because you are of the same opinion either.

Silicone won't even stick to itself and I've yet to see an application where silicone is a "25 year" or "50 year" caulk. Silicone fails as much as and as easily as latex, the difference is that with latex you can sc**** it out and replace it whereas with silicone you've got a major chore on your hands and any subsequent applications will be weaker because of the original silicone.

This is not to be confused with siliconized acrylics or latex caulks, which retain the properties of the base caulk with some additional benefits of silicone WITHOUT the detriments of not being able to start over when the need arises, and the need will arise at some point, rest assured.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

One other reason to avoid pure silicon: Years ago, after completely retiling my master bath shower, I caulked around the overhead plastic window and the corners of the shower walls with silicon caulk. My wife at that time was a smoker ( but no more . Silicon caulk absorbs nicotine and you cannot bleach it out! I had to sc**** down all the areas I had caulked and replace it with an acrylic bath caulk. Shortly after that, I visited my brother-in-law in Germany and discovered he had made the same mistake. His silicone caulk was even more disgusting than mine had been!

i hate silicone, i use it when i have to in bathrooms and kitchens
    i know a few old timers that swear by it for exterior use but ive seen more caulking failures on windows and doors than any other type. i stick to polybutyl caulking. its much more flexible and its paintable for exterior
    fire up the saw and make some dust