+ Reply to Thread

Default Patching Parquet Floor

My house was built in the 60s. Under most of the carpeting I have parquet floors. I ripped the carpet up in the living/dining room. There are areas that need patching. I've looked around for matching material and I can't find anything to match.

I'm thinking of taking material from transition areas to patch. It's not high quality material but it's still in good shape for the most part and very serviceable.

I'm looking for ideas on what to put in the areas I take material away from. In both places I'm thinking of, it would be from tile to the parquet. One is from the foyer, the other from the kitchen. I already have height differences that I need to compensate for, the tile being higher. The opening by the kitchen is a normal doorway, the foyer opening is 6' wide. They're not side by side so they don't have to match exactly but should have a common theme.

If I take material I have to fill gaps from a foot by the kitchen to about 8" by the foyer.

I don't want to do anything drastic or too complicated, wood flooring isn't a particular specialty of mine.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Patching Parquet Floor

What is wrong with the problem areas? How many and how big are they? Can you post pictures?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I've got two areas where the parquet tiles are gone.

One we left a steam cleaner sitting and didn't realize it was leaking. The parquet tiles buckled. It was under wall to wall at the time so we filled with pegboard scrap just so it would be level. That one I need a full tile and 5 single squares. The rest of it is under my dining room rug. So, about 18" by 18" is all I really need there.

The other I didn't even know was there until I pulled up the carpet. It's in a high traffic area and no covering it up. That one needs 2 full tiles, it's 1' x 2'. Right now there's a piece of scrap veneer just boldly nailed in. The rest of the floor is fine.

So they're not huge areas. The edges of the room aren't great because of all the years of carpet tack but those I can make look ok until I'm ready to either put a new floor, re-carpet, or do a big job of putting some kind of style border all around.

I'm not particularly bothered if it's a little unconventional at the entry ways, but I'd like it to at least have the appearance of having some kind of design thought behind it. The rooms themselves are not decorated in any formal/traditional style and as long as I'm here, probably won't be.

I'd post a pic but I have a teenager which means my camera that I bought myself for my birthday isn't mine anymore :-)

The only thing I can come up with is to find a contrasting wood tile the same size and thickness to install in the doorways or as an accent ring or center in one of the rooms. Use the removed tiles for patching. Here are some choices http://www.fastfloors.com/catalog/re...-S-24980185522

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

An accent ring...I hadn't thought of that. That's not half bad. I could make a contrast frame out from each entry and use the pieces I take out to fill. I'd have a nice framed transistion. Like a bordered parquet welcome mat almost.