+ Reply to Thread

Default Rewiring a 7 arm wall sconce

What kind of wiring do you use to rewire a 7 arm wall sconce? I usually stick with rewiring table lamps. The fixture is an antique and will be up to the owner to have it wired into the wall.

Default Re: Rewiring a 7 arm wall sconce

I would have to guess "lamp cord" should work.

I thought so too. I've checked other sites and they mention fixture wire. I'm just not sure.

Fixture wire is smaller and easier to work around the bends in the arms. I believe you can get it a home center.
    Harry

I know with lamp cord there are two wires, the ribbed side connects to the silver screw and the smooth side connects to the brass screw. Will I need to buy just one wire type? I wouldn't need a black wire and a white wire?

Quote Originally Posted by AntiqueLampGal View Post
    I know with lamp cord there are two wires, the ribbed side connects to the silver screw and the smooth side connects to the brass screw. Will I need to buy just one wire type? I wouldn't need a black wire and a white wire?
    Usually the wire has a see through jacket and looks the same at each wire. I have seen it two ways one used a copper color conductor and one used a silver color on the other wire. I have also seen with both copper or silver conductors but on closer examination of the individual wires the jacket one wire is marked with a stripe or has writing on it. I hope that helps
    Harry

I use 18 gauge THHN stranded wire I use white and black. Using white and black makes it a lot less confusing for the customer.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 10-29-2008 at 09:49 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If I use black and white wire, does it matter which wire goes to the screws on the socket? I appreciate everyone's input and have found it to be very helpful.

Black wire on brass screw white on silver. Brass screw is connected to center button in socket white is connected to threaded side of socket. You don't want the threaded side hot.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm all set now.