+ Reply to Thread

Smile Generator Transfer Switch

I have a 6000W portable generator, wired into a Square D generator transfer switch. We love the generator, and switch, but now that we have added on to the house, we need to add a couple of circuits to the transfer switch. It currently powers the well pump, and two circuits in the old part of the house. Is it possible to power one or two low-load circuits (e.g. lights or outlets) by doubling them up on the breakers in the existing transfer switch? I wasn't sure if this would be compliant with codes (NY State).

Default Re: Generator Transfer Switch

Quote Originally Posted by Cougars1996 View Post
    I have a 6000W portable generator, wired into a Square D generator transfer switch. We love the generator, and switch, but now that we have added on to the house, we need to add a couple of circuits to the transfer switch. It currently powers the well pump, and two circuits in the old part of the house. Is it possible to power one or two low-load circuits (e.g. lights or outlets) by doubling them up on the breakers in the existing transfer switch? I wasn't sure if this would be compliant with codes (NY State).
    there are a few things to consider in doing what you suggested. you need to know if adding the load to the generator will be able to handle the added load. The circuits you are adding to the existing circuits what is the ampacity of the new load and old load. Does it overload the existing generator circuit breaker branch circuit?

Finally If the added load to the existing circuit does not exceed the circuit breaker rating then you can add the it. But you must not have two wires under the same breaker. Remove the existing wire (black white and bare wire or green) and splice it with the new wire in a junction box. The run a new wire from the breaker to the junction box.
    Harry

Default Re: Generator Transfer Switch

To combine the loads on the generator you will need to combine those ciruits parmanently. I'm sure they were separated for a reason so I would not combine them. Some circuits are required to separate from others so depending on which circuit they are you may not be permitted to combine them. A new switch with more circuits may be your only answer.