+ Reply to Thread

Default southern flying sqirrels in attic

Has anybody had any success in getting rid of flying squirrels in the attic?

Default Re: southern flying sqirrels in attic

Quote Originally Posted by schmerlerj@aol.com View Post
    Has anybody had any success in getting rid of flying squirrels in the attic?
    No-- but I've gotten rid of regular gray squirrels. What works for them is to find out where they're getting in, first of all. Then, while they're outside doing their squirrely business (this would be daytime for gray squirrels), seal off the openings with hardware cloth (wire mesh) or boards, or whatever---

Then--- and this is the magic trick--- Mix up some Vicks Vapo-Rub with cayenne pepper and smear it all around the former entrance. An old handyman taught me this trick. The Vapo-Rub and cayenne won't harm the squirrels, but they HATE the strong smell and taste so they won't try to chew their way back in. They won't even try to squeeze around the wire mesh because they hate getting the Vapo-Rub on their fur. Worked like a charm for gray squirrels.

Flying squirrels are not as aggressive and damaging as grey squirrels, in my experience. They don't go crazy chewing everything in sight, for example. (Also, they eat insects, so I kind of like them.) But you could try the same technique. I expect it would work. Because they are nocturnal, you'd need to seal the entrances at night when they're outside doing their thing.

I get a lot of bats that like to make home on the inside screen of my louvers. Most times I just hang mothballs real close to them and that will make them leave. Seams latley they are not making moth balls as strong as they use too. It sometimes stinks the house up but you get use to it real fast. Anything that you do to make life unpleasent works well. Such as shooting them with a pellet pistol at one pump just enough to sting but not kill, or just kill them. Just get up ther and keep messing with them until they feel they are unwelcome. Lock your cat in there for a couple of days (don't forget the litterbox)

I face squirrels. First of all these are not flying. LOL
    In my attic these are enter from nearly tree so i trim it and cut all nearly long branches. Now attic is safe.

Thanks for the information about using Vicks Vapor Rub and Ceyenne Pepper.
    I have been sick for over a week and the squirrels must have known it.
    Here in Florida they are very active and jump from the trees to my roof and even come in from the power line. There are tons of them in my trees and there seems to be no stopping them!

This week they have decided to invade my attic and have eaten two holes through my ceiling tile in my den!! I am so mad at squirrels right now that I can't think of anything good to say about them. I call them "devil squirrels" and they must know I can't do anything to stop them right now. Just wait until I get well and I'll buy a ton of Vicks and might invite my neighbor over with his BB Gun.

Wonder if I could use a brush to smear the Vicks on the power line also.

I had installed a tin patch to close the first hole and made it larger than the hole and those rascals just pulled the tin, nails and all off and then chewed the original hole larger. I'm sure they must have destroyed my attic and air conditioner/heating vents by now.

It sounded like they had invited all their friends to my attic for a party the other night and I couldn't do one thing to stop them!!
    Thanks again for the tip.

My brother-in-law solved his flying squirrel problem by thinning the herd with a "high powered" pellet rifle. It seems that when the population is down they don't feel the need to chew through his soffit. You might not be willing or able to shoot them, but you could relocate them with havaheart traps.
    I wonder if any of the imitation owls or hawks could scare them away. The squirrels no doubt would figure out they are fake if they aren't moved around. They still might anyway.
    Nixalite make products to deter pests. Take a look and see if any might help. http://www.nixalite.com/climbinganimalbarrier.aspx

Thanks for the information about using Vicks Vapor Rub and Ceyenne Pepper.
    I have been sick for over a week and the squirrels must have known it.
    Here in Florida they are very active and jump from the trees to my roof and even come in from the power line. There are tons of them in my trees and there seems to be no stopping them!

This week they have decided to invade my attic and have eaten two holes through my ceiling tile in my den!! I am so mad at squirrels right now that I can't think of anything good to say about them. I call them "devil squirrels" and they must know I can't do anything to stop them right now. Just wait until I get well and I'll buy a ton of Vicks and might invite my neighbor over with his BB Gun.

Wonder if I could use a brush to smear the Vicks on the power line also.

I had installed a tin patch to close the first hole and made it larger than the hole and those rascals just pulled the tin, nails and all off and then chewed the original hole larger. I'm sure they must have destroyed my attic and air conditioner/heating vents by now.

It sounded like they had invited all their friends to my attic for a party the other night and I couldn't do one thing to stop them!!
    Thanks again for the tip.
    So what about mouse traps. You can use them. Its best and effective. I don't think so that their is in market any squirrel traps are available.
    Deal Hidden Content resources and get Hidden Content .

So what about mouse traps. You can use them. Its best and effective. I don't think so that their is in market any squirrel traps are available.
    Thank God you don't say about mortein mosquito spray. LoL
    Buy Hidden Content and visit free Hidden Content in mexico.

Thank God you don't say about mortein mosquito spray. LoL
    This spray will work but when you spray on face of each squirrels. I also face this type of problem in my attic some time. Any perfect procedure from which we survive from this problem?

First, find where they are getting in to your attic and make sure that there isn't a nest of babies up there. Then you can set a HaveaHeart trap large enough to capture the squirrel(s). I am not sure what to use for bait for a squirrel, but peanut butter works well for rats.

Once trapped, take the squirrel to a park a couple miles from your house and release so they won't just come back in. For rats, it needs to be at least one mile away or they will come back to their nest.

Then, make sure you fix the hole that they were accessing your attic space or your problem will return.

Lastly, DO NOT lock your cat in the attic as someone here suggested. This is not only cruelty to the animal, it may kill the cat due to the high heat in the attic and no access to the outside.