+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Want to test a jigsaw for TOH?

Booooooooo!
    Attached Thumbnails
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thanks, A Spruce. I'll give the tape/down cut blade a try.

I think half the problem is I bought a "one-time use" jigsaw for a one-time project several years ago and have found many uses for it since then. Unfortunately, it's a piece of $#!t and I cuss it every time I pull it out.

I should know better. . .should break down and go out and buy a real tool instead of this cheap one!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    hey canuk, are you canook on contractortalk.com
    No sir..... hopefully he's a good guy.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    A note from TOH Editorial Assistant Sal Vaglica:

Hey everyone!
    Sounds like everyone on here is very capable of putting our jigsaws through their paces. But, I need some targeted and specific projects that you have coming up in the next few weeks so that we can decide who to send the tools to for testing. Cutting out a sink hole, maybe, or cutting some ornate trim? If your interested in taking part in the reader review, you've got to give me the details. Looking forward to hearing back!
    I'm currently in my 3rd year of my live-in full remodel of my 1928 house. I have a few projects in the queue that I will be using a Jigsaw on.
    -Decorative wall shelfs (including some jigsaw detail in the supports and frames. (my wife has been bugging me on this one for months)
    -cutting out sink and faucet holes in coutertop in laundry room.
    -building some garage shelving, and basement storage shelving.
    -I'm also doing some electrical wiring upgrades throughout the house, and have been using the jigsaw a bunch on that project (cutting holes through the walls, etc.)

My current jigsaw is on it's last leg, Although it was a cheapy one to start with, I think I would have more than enough projects in the short term to put it through it's paces.

A jig saw is a bit of a specialty tool. There are many other saws with specific purposes of making straight cuts, weather it be miter, compound miter, sheet goods ect, but when it comes to irregular cuts, a jig saw becomes a specialty tool. I am currently remodeling a 1940's home. I will be installing new cabinets w/countertops and crown moulding on the inside. I build my own laminate countertops, so sink cut outs are not precut. Outside there are modest decorative, structural corbels under soffits on the gabel ends. This would certainly be a good test for any new jig saw.
    PS. If my wife discovers I have a new jig saw she will insist I make her some backlit Angels for the Holidays.
    Hey! Maybe she can test your saw also and cut them herself!
    I believe I am up to the challenge.

Kev.

Smile Re: Want to test a jigsaw for TOH?

TOH Editorial Assistant Sal Vaglica wants to know:

Do you want to test a jigsaw for TOH? What projects would you use it on? Tell us and you could score a jigsaw to test, review, and keep!
    Would use jigsaw to cut out rotten panels of plywood subflooring damaged and mildewed when water seeped between tile joints in two adjoining bathrooms. When installing new panels, will use saw to cut out all of the plumbing rough in openings. Will also use saw to cut fiberglass backer board and paperless drywall as well.

Smile Re: Want to test a jigsaw for TOH?

Sure thing. I would first use it on a project in my church. We are putting in new tile and need to cut some baseboards as well as some other trim work that needs doing. Also will be doing some work for some older folk that don't have much and can't afford to pay someone so will do some remodeling and make some things they want that would take a jigsaw. I have a whole list of things that I could use it for doing. Just need to get one to do it with. If I don't get picked for this, I will get one somewhere soon but will have to find something second hand as I can't afford much either. Just try to help those that have less than me.

Red face Re: Want to test a jigsaw for TOH?

I'd love to test a new jig saw. I'm not terribly fond of the current low-end Skil brand saw that I own today. Ironically, I'd been looking at new saws; Ridgid, DeWalt and Craftsman amongst others.

I'm going to be building functioning exterior paneled shutters for our 1880 stone mansard house in Salem, MA, and we're planning to cut a stenciled pattern shape in the top panels. I'm building them for 11 big windows which are about 4' x 6', so the the shaping of these holes will require a nice jigsaw with a fine cutting blade. I will primarily be cutting laminated 3/4" panels, but will also us the saw for various fine work.

The house (pictures here) once had slatted shutters as you can see. But I prefer panel-style, and I think they'll still be authentically period and attractive.

One nice feature for the saw would be a small light right at the cutting area - especially with working with the saw outside in the diminishing light of winter.

If the saw is corded - my preference because of the size of the job, unless the battery is really, really robust - will the cord be long enough for convenience? Will the cord have a nice storage option like many Ridgid tools have with a velcro wrap or at least an integrated snap lock on the plug housing? Simply coiling is annoying. Why don't more manufacturers recognize this?

Thanks and good luck!

TOH Editorial Assistant Sal Vaglica wants to know:

Do you want to test a jigsaw for TOH? What projects would you use it on? Tell us and you could score a jigsaw to test, review, and keep!
    Well I would like to try out a new jigsaw for you because, first of all the motor on my jigsaw burned out while I was in the middle of a project I started a couple of months ago on my house, and I am looking to get a new one. I have a new construction home and on the inside of the home I am framing out the windows with decorative mouldings to give them a nice architechtural look. Also, I am replacing all the window stools and need the jigsaw to make the precision cuts on the horns in order to get the stools to fit just right.

Hey zipkruse,

Enjoyed your photo album. A "spare time" remodel?
    Great looking home and though I now nothing about TOH mag articles and how they are picked, your house looks like a good candidate to me.

Oh, you get my vote for the saw. Shutters would look great on your place and you seem like someone who knows how to "Get-er-Done."