+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sink hole

Unhappy sink hole

i have a huge sink hole under my garden .It sank alittle last year; this year a hole opened up. when I started digging; we could tell its where they buried trees from clearing the lot 11-14 yrs ago. i hope thats all thats in there(could be 5 gal paint buckets and caulk tubes etc..) We found pine bark down in the hole and smelled rotting wood. What should i do. Someone said fill it w/ cruch and run but its under my garden. That is not the way i want to go.

Default Re: sink hole

I would just have a load of fill dirt brought in and fill it with that

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    I would just have a load of fill dirt brought in and fill it with that
    After digging out as much of the debris as possible.

As long as the sink hole has been created by the decomposition of stumps, there's no harm, no foul to fill with dirt/top soil. I would not recommend gravel or rock of any kind, partly because this is your garden, partly because that's not the way to fill a depression in the ground.

If the sink holes are caused by erosion, you'll have to determine the cause of the erosion and remediate that first, then go about filling the hole.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

i was told if i dug and found wood; fill the hole in quick before the termites come out. im in Ga and they say if you dont have termites; you will. We have a termite guy come but(service came w/ the house) i dont know how well that stuff works

Everybody has termites and any amount of sizable wood in contact with the earth will draw them. Filling the hole quickly before the termites come out doesn't make them go away or keep them for going anywhere else. Termites are subterranean pests, if and when they come above ground, it's to eat. They hate the light, so you're not going to find a trail of them leading over to the house for a snack.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Would filling the hole with horse waste be good. i know a guy w/ a boarding farm and he has tons of the stuff. It would be cheaper than getting a dump truck full of topsoil. And the ga clay needs to be mixed up any way

You could, but what you'll end up doing is creating a "french drain" with the soft, porous poo. If you have any topsoil at all, scrap it back to expose the garbage clay and backfill with that, then bring the topsoil back in place. After that, if you want to amend with the poo, go for it, it will do wonders for improve poor quality clay soil. I took the rock hard clay soil in my garden to a rich dark fluffy goodness with horse poo - lots of it.

do i need to dig down and get the wood out if theres any left or just fill it and pack it down. Im more of a carpenter than a landscaper; I need help

Ya probably don't want too much manure concetrated in one area .... high nitrogen will burn out any vegetation.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush