+ Reply to Thread

Default HELP white marks on my new found hardwood floors

Hope someone can give some concrete advise. I have discovered beautiful hardwood floors in my kitchen. I have removed all that can be removed in glue stains and the old crappy tile but there are some "white" spots that using 150 grid paper isn't taking up. This is one of my first hard projects around my home and need all the help one can offer.
    I did find out this stuff called Goof off is perfect for wood and gets up old glue!
    Thank you again for ALL AND ANY ADVISE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floor.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	1710  

Default Re: HELP white marks on my new found hardwood floors

which species of hardwood? sure its a hardwood not a softwood like pitch pine? looks almost like pitch also known as pine sap.

Thank you for responding! I can't be sure but looks like a mixture of cherry and walnut. This is only based on experience from seeing these woods cut and polished. Its glue stains because it is spread in a way that would be consistent with laying tile. Any advise how to remove it?

Its likely that you will need to sand and refinish the floor. You can rent a sander and do the work yourself. Its unlikely that even if you could get the glue off with goof off that the floor would look very good. It is likely that it would be dull and the finish would be damaged so you would have to sand and refinish anyway. Hope this helps you out.

Mike

Thumbs up Re: HELP white marks on my new found hardwood floors

Yes it looks dull now and I just used a little hand sander with 220 grade. Guess I am not sure what all the way to the wood entails. It looks like most of it is sanded down but then the mar's show up. I am going to get a heavy duty sander from Home Depot or Lowes and hope it works before my son learns more new cuss words
    Thank you and wish me luck!

I would advise you to find a random orbital floor sander to rent. Drum sanders are very aggressive and if you are inexperienced you will end up with less than desirable results, plus you would still need an edge sander. A random orbital sander is easier to get a smooth finish and you can use it edge to edge.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Try bleach. Find a secluded spot that will likely not be noticed later (under an appliance, in a corner) and spot rub with a bleach solution.

Thumbs up Re: HELP white marks on my new found hardwood floors

Thank you all for the advise!! I did rent the big sander from Lowes and it did WONDERFUL. Gummed up here and there but after hours of cussing and five coats of poly it looks great. NOW the adventure is my livingroom...... Don't get the sander if your under 120 lbs though. That thing is HEAVY
    How do I get the baseboards clear again? Sanded one down but that is a total pain but worth it I guess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0158.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	1769  

Looks awesome!