+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default N.E. Ohio Insulation Q

Tom, I have a 1960's vintage brick veneer ranch one story with 2x4 wall construction and drywall. My wife does not want a contractor drilling holes from the inside to insulate the outer wall. In the wnter the walls are very cold. There is no wall insulation at all. Is there a insulation method from the outside that would work and pay off in heating savings. The house is knob and tube wired and is heated with force air via natural gas. Size is 1800 square feet and the overall outside length totals 190 linear feet. If so, how long would the payoff take around.

Default Re: N.E. Ohio Insulation Q

The venee is mounted to the house via clips. The clips are attached to an exterior layer of plywood. Yes there is air space between the bricks and the plywood for air and moisture movement. You could say the bricks are floatinging with just contact to the clips. I only want to drill through the mortor between the bricks, through the air space, through the plywood and insulate behind the plywood inbetween the studs.
    Last edited by jzp42c; 08-29-2007 at 01:39 PM.

Thanks on the heads up on the wiring. Yes I had a 1963 weird arrangement. K&T and a Federal Pacific death box. Which I switched out two years ago to a GE. See ya.

I know no one has posted on this topic in 6 months but its nice to know I'm not the only NE Ohioan with a house from the 60s with K&T and without insulation. What were people thinking not insulating in this part of the country? Anyway, my point is that I'm in almost the same situation and what I'm halfway through doing is just replacing the K&T so that I can properly insulate later. Its actually much easier to run new wiring than I thought it would be, especially since I have hollow walls to run through.

I have encountered 2 homes in the past five years on my job in norteastern Ohio that were built with modern knob and tube, - 12 gauge plastic covered new wires. Knob and tube wiring, if wired properly, is very safe. Safer perhaps than romex, since all wires are so separated and cannot short out against one another. Incidentally, Ohio weatherization standards currently allow cellulose insulation to be installed over knob and tube providing the wire insulation is in good condition.

Thumbs up Re: N.E. Ohio Insulation Q

you could have Tripolymer injection foam instaled. it has the highest r-value for retro fit applications, and fire resisent.

injectionfoam.com
    usainsulation.com
    sealtechinsulation.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tripolmercard.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	1800