+ Reply to Thread

Default replacing water main supply pipe.

Hi planning to replace the lead water main pipe to my home. Have to have new pipe pulled under the street have located a horizontal drilling company to do the pipe pull but am still pondering which pipe to use. Read that soft copper has some issues with potential kinking. Have to go about 100' an feed from inside my crawlspace or close to it. A Plumbing expert suggests the black ploy pipe 1" & 200 PSI.

I stumbled on to Centennial Plastics Company's pipe being used used in a geo thermal heat pump application. Am interested in their "Cen Core HDPE" pipe it has a 50 year warranty. Was thinking of PEX but only a 25 year warranty. Any suggestions?

Default Re: replacing water main supply pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Hi planning to replace the lead water main pipe to my home. Have to have new pipe pulled under the street have located a horizontal drilling company to do the pipe pull but am still pondering which pipe to use. Read that soft copper has some issues with potential kinking. Have to go about 100' an feed from inside my crawlspace or close to it. A Plumbing expert suggests the black ploy pipe 1" & 200 PSI.

I stumbled on to Centennial Plastics Company's pipe being used used in a geo thermal heat pump application. Am interested in their "Cen Core HDPE" pipe it has a 50 year warranty. Was thinking of PEX but only a 25 year warranty. Any suggestions?
    Timothy , you seem to hung up on the numbers game when it comes to warranty. Are you going to be in the house ( or around ) in 25 - 50 years from now?
    Is that product certified for potable water feed?

Years ago homes were being feed with poly pipe for the water lines to get away from the higher costs of copper. Well , as it would seem the city is going around and digging up many of those feeds and replacing with copper because of leaks.
    So , you have to wonder if it was cheaper in the long run ---- I think not.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Hi, the life of the pipe is important, not how long i get to enjoy the old house. The lead has lasted 106 years but darn its is lead.

Copper and poly are both good choices, we have both types of pipe that have been in the ground for 30+ years. I have also seen copper not last more than 5 years in corrosive soil and need to be replaced. The price difference between copper and poly pipe would make this decision an easy one for me.

I'm curious why you need to cross the street with the line, where does the city ownership end and homeowner's begin?
    Slow The Flow

Hi thanks for the information. In the small town the main is across the street The city is only responsible for it. Amazingly city has control of 30 foot from the street on both sides . So i have to run new pipe approximately 4' on the other side of the street, street 30', and another 60' into the crawlspace. Since this is costly wanting to make the most of the investment . Am realizing that small front yards do have some advantages.
    Last edited by Timothy Miller; 04-13-2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: clarify