+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation lights go off when dryer turns on

my house is about 30 to 40 yrs old. not sure if the wiring or the elec system has been updated since then but here's my problem.

this just happened yesterday, the lights in the house flicker or turn off then back on whenever the clothes dryer starts. i have lived in the house for 7 yrs now and have noticed that the lights seem to dim when we turn on the vacuum or the iron (i guess these pull alot of electricity?) but they've never actually turned off all the way until yesterday. but it was not the whole house it was like random. the 1st time it happened was in all the house. we thought it was a power outage (we're in houston so there is still some outages occuring here from hurricane ike) but they came right bak on so we thought nothing of it. so later on i noticed the dryer had stopped so i restarted it and it did it again but this time only on certain rooms so i went to the fuse box and flipped them all over then bak. so i tried the dryer again same thing just random lights but not the whole house. what could it be? is it going to be costly?

Default Re: lights go off when dryer turns on

Quote Originally Posted by nidiag View Post
    my house is about 30 to 40 yrs old. not sure if the wiring or the elec system has been updated since then but here's my problem.

this just happened yesterday, the lights in the house flicker or turn off then back on whenever the clothes dryer starts. i have lived in the house for 7 yrs now and have noticed that the lights seem to dim when we turn on the vacuum or the iron (i guess these pull alot of electricity?) but they've never actually turned off all the way until yesterday. but it was not the whole house it was like random. the 1st time it happened was in all the house. we thought it was a power outage (we're in houston so there is still some outages occuring here from hurricane ike) but they came right bak on so we thought nothing of it. so later on i noticed the dryer had stopped so i restarted it and it did it again but this time only on certain rooms so i went to the fuse box and flipped them all over then bak. so i tried the dryer again same thing just random lights but not the whole house. what could it be? is it going to be costly?
    We have addressed this many times in the past. I would call your electric utility and tell them you need your electrical connection checked as your lights dim when you use a large appliance. Typically the connection at the pole or service mast becomes corroded and the connection becomes loose. Most utilities check this at no charge to the home owner. If that isn't it then come back and ask again. I would be willing to bet that is your problem
    Harry