+ Reply to Thread

Default HW Heater - Smells like burning plastic

Hi All,

I have a 7 year old HW Heater that just started smelling like burning plastic. This only happens right after taking showers. I'm not sure what could be causing this, does anyone else have a clue?

I just had my roof replaced, and they did some extensive work around the Chimney flashing, so I'm not sure if this has something to do with this. Any ideas at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate

Default Re: HW Heater - Smells like burning plastic

Does it smell like plastic melting or electrical melting?
    Ray
    http://tanklesswaterheaters-howto.blogspot.com/

To me it smells more like plastic melting, but I don't have the greatest sense of smell.

If it only happens after a shower and not after say washing your hands at a sink my guess is that it probably indicates that something electrical is starting to overload with prolonged running. can you pinpoint where the smell is coming from? is it at the tank itself? is it at the top or bottom? And i would certainly have a plumber or electrician have a look at it before long.
    Ray

http://tanklesswaterheaters-howto.blogspot.com/

Thanks Ray for all your help.

I've found the source of the problem. Turns out the burning smell was neither Plastic nor Electric melting, but a cooking squirrel caught in the flue (and completely blocking the flue pipe). I removed to flue, the cooked squirrel, replace the flue and problem solved.