+ Reply to Thread

Default Replacing a first-floor bathroom fan

Hi All,
    My first post. Thanks for the opportunity to be part of the community. I need to replace the fans in my first and second-floor bathrooms. The second-floor bathroom fan is accessible from the attic, so replacing it, though it will be "fun" crawling around in the attic, will be relatively simple. The first-floor bathroom fan is of course below the first floor, so it's not accessible from above. Fan manufacturers seem to believe the best way to mount a fan is with tabs on the outside of the fan housing. If they mounted using screws from inside the housing, one could simply remove the old fan and install a new one without needing to access it from above. Anyway, the manufacturers probably know more than I do about such things, so I'll have to accept the way they're mounted. The only (best) way I can think of to replace the old fan is to cut an oversized hole in the drywall ceiling around the old fan, remove it, install a new one, and patch/repair the ceiling. Does anyone have any comments or experience they could share that would make this project successful?
    Thanks so much,
    Rick

Default Re: Replacing a first-floor bathroom fan

For what reason are you replacing the entire unit? Why not just replace the motor? Look in the phone book for local companies specializing in electric motor repair. Take your old motor in to them to match up the size/numbers and you'll be good to go. The fan blades can also be replaced with a more or less aggressive pitch which will affect the CFM air flow of the unit.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Rick .... welcome to the forum.

Like A.spruce mentions depending on your reason for replacing the fans .... if it's simply because they aren't working properlyand/or they're looking old ..... you can get kits to overhaul them...... sure beats tearing out the old ones.

Kits will include the motor , blower , grill.
    Individual parts are available even at the big box stores.

Here's a couple of links for information.................

http://www.rd.com/17556/article17556.html

http://www.broan.com/display/router....oductID=100402

http://www.acehardware.com/sm-bath-f...p-1255016.html

Hope this helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thanks so much for the replies. I hadn't thought about replacing the motor and blades. That seems like a good option. I like the new fan I selected because it moves a higher volume of air, and it's quieter.
    Thanks,
    Rick
    P.S. "I suffer from CDO. It's like OCD but in alphabetical order like it should be." I love that! I can relate because I manifest obsessive compulsive disorder "qualities" too. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by RickT View Post
    Thanks so much for the replies. I hadn't thought about replacing the motor and blades. That seems like a good option. I like the new fan I selected because it moves a higher volume of air, and it's quieter.
    Thanks,
    Rick
    P.S. "I suffer from CDO. It's like OCD but in alphabetical order like it should be." I love that! I can relate because I manifest obsessive compulsive disorder "qualities" too. :-)
    Actually, a good cleaning of the motor, fan blades and housing will go a long ways towards improving the operation and efficiency of the fan. Another thing is after cleaning the motor, lubricate it with 3-in-1 oil or similar light oil. Shims can be added to reduce shaft movement and vibration.

You're not the first to appreciate the proper alphabetization of an acronym.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I disagree on oiling the motor, unless the motor is specifically designed to be oiled. Many fan motors have bronze bushings (as opposed to a ball or roller bearing). All you have to do is simply disassemble the motor and clean the gunk off the shaft and bushing. The bronze bushing, being somewhat softer than the steel shaft, provides a self-lubricating effect. Adding oil to that system will simply capture dust which will wear out the shaft and bushing.

Now if the dust HAS worn out the shaft & bushing, so there is noticeable slop, you'll need to replace the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    I disagree on oiling the motor, unless the motor is specifically designed to be oiled.
    Most of these motors are mounted vertically and use thrust washers/shims, not bronze bushings.