+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Smile pictures on plaster walls

Hello,
    We have wood lathe behind plaster walls in our 1863 house. We have tried doing the masking tape and small nail, and it just tears out the plaster. We have also tried using the big bolt, but the weight pulls out the plaster. We would really like to have more than just paint on our walls! Any ideas? Thank you!

Default Re: pictures on plaster walls

I use plastic wall anchors available at almost all hardware stores. Drill a hole at slow speed, tap the anchor in, and install screw.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by jv17 View Post
    JLMCDANIEL is right, you should use plastic wall anchors
    If either one of you could explain a bit more about how to use wall anchors, that would be great ... there are so many kinds/sizes. I haven't had good luck with them because I think I'm not using the right ones for the job.

How do you decide what kind to use?

1860s plaster i'd go with lead anchors. lime plaster should be like limestone by now. other options include a picture hanging rail fits the style and vintage of the house or hitting structural wood or do you have masonry.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
    If either one of you could explain a bit more about how to use wall anchors, that would be great ... there are so many kinds/sizes. I haven't had good luck with them because I think I'm not using the right ones for the job.

How do you decide what kind to use?
    You drill a hole slightly smaller than the anchor. Start the drill slowly at first to break the surface. You then install the anchor in by tapping on it lightly with a hammer until the outer rim is flush with the wall. Then you insert the accompanying screw . The screw expands the inside end of the anchor. You want to use anchors long enough to go though the plaster a lath, like the large gray one pictured above. When you buy the anchors at your local hardware, tell them it is to go through plaster a lath and ask what size anchor and drill bit you need for the anchor you purchase. I have used them many times on my 1860's plaster walls to hang pictures and small cabinets with no problems.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 12-01-2008 at 11:28 PM.

Question Re: pictures on plaster walls

I have picture rails already in place in my 1902 Folk Victorian, but I'm not sure where I can find the nylon cables and s-hooks for hanging the pictures. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Most hardware stores carry S hooks. You can use heavy duty fishing line, cloth ribbon, nylon cord you can get at most big box stores or decorative cord/rope you can pick up at many fabric shops.
    Jack