+ Reply to Thread

Default Stop flooding: Close a floor drain with cement

Hi All,
    I have been in my town home 20 years and have never flooded. When I purchased it I was told that the floor drain in the basement had been cemented shut. This past month Illinois experienced terrible flooding and I flooded. When I lifted the drain grate and cap I saw where the cement had broken apart. I still could not pour things down the drain, however, the pressure of the water must have pushed it out. I want to re cement it shut but cannot find any website that tells me how to do it. Can anyone help...Signed Woman in water.

Default Re: Stop flooding: Close a floor drain with cement

Rather than cementing it shut (which seems quite draconian), you might be able to use an expansion plug. You can get these at any hardware store, home improvement warehouse, or plumbing supply shop sized to fit the drain pipe. It has a rubber stopper that expands inside the pipe when you tighten a wing nut.

Note that the sizes are nominal -- a 1-1/2" plug may not be exactly 1-1/2" in diameter. Measure the diameter inside the drain pipe before you go shopping.

IF (and that's a big IF) you can clear out the existing cement -- may require a drain cleaning service -- that will give you the option of opening the drain by removing the plug if it is needed, say when your washing machine overflows.