+ Reply to Thread

Default how to redo walls if paneling wall paper and plaster?

hi, The previous owners have used cheap wood paneling to cover most of the walls. I hate it and want to remove it. But am scared to see what is underneath, afraid it will be a bigger job than I want.
    So The room I want to redo has 2 walls of wood paneling, one of wallpaper and one of cracked/crumbling plaster. There is also a drop ceiling.
    What you you recomend that I do?
    Is it possible to fill in the grooves of the paneling to make it smooth?
    Thanks.

Default Re: how to redo walls if paneling wall paper and plaster?

From what you describe, I'd guess the paneled walls are new walls added to make a "finished basement" cheaply and there's nothing underneath them beyond 2x4's. The wallpaper walls are probably preexisting partition walls, probably two of those at most, with a drywall backing and the crumbling wall is very likely an exterior wall on a block foundation in a damp area. But that's just a guess.

I'd 1/2" rock the paneling and not bother removing it. The paper like veneer they put on paneling either doesn't hold anything reliably so I wouldn't mud over it but you could, possibly, fill the grooves with a fast drying lightweight patch like patch-n-paint. But, it will eventually crack if there's nothing behind it.

The drop ceiling probably hides pipes since that's the cheapest way to finish a basement or any other ceiling, increase the value of a home and move on. You could replace the drop with a framed/furred ceiling and sheet it with rock and go from that. It'll look much nicer but rather time consuming and/or expensive. In this economy, since you won't sell it at a profit any time soon, it's probably worth the effort but it certainly won't increase the appraised value.

The crumbling wall is an entirely other matter. If it is, and probably is an exterior wall, it was never sealed properly. The easy solution is to vent it near the ceiling, fur it out 1-1/2" and drywall it and go from that. The decay will still be there, you just won't see it.
    If I only knew what I was doing!

Default Re: how to redo walls if paneling wall paper and plaster?

Quote Originally Posted by micki View Post
    hi, The previous owners have used cheap wood paneling to cover most of the walls. I hate it and want to remove it. But am scared to see what is underneath, afraid it will be a bigger job than I want.
    So The room I want to redo has 2 walls of wood paneling, one of wallpaper and one of cracked/crumbling plaster. There is also a drop ceiling.
    What you you recomend that I do?
    Is it possible to fill in the grooves of the paneling to make it smooth?
    Thanks.
    Yep ... this was done by someone I know.
    Basically they did this for budget reasons. They had a rec room with this type of paneling.

The first step was to ensure the panels were secure with some additional fasteners as needed.
    The next step was to clean the panels with TSP removing all grime.Then apply a quality primer.

Once primered they had applied a skim coat of drywall joint compound smoothing out the grooves.

In this case they had applied a chair rail to divide the wall ...... the grooves remained in the lower section to become wainscoting ..... the section above the chair rail was the smmoth section.

The final result looked pretty good and on a budget.

Just a thought.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush