+ Reply to Thread

Default Fireplace Heat Loss

Any ideas how to get more heat out of a large woodburning fireplace? Seems like most of the heat is going up the chimney. Room has high ceilings and stays cold.

Default Re: Fireplace Heat Loss

It depends on what is important to you. The best way to get efficient heat out of a fireplace is to install an insert. If you are more into the looks rather than performance, glass doors on the fireplace opening would help a little.

Thanks for your reply. I have looked into inserts but way too expensive at this time. Any other ways to push the heat back into the house instead of up the chimney?

Hi, Director:

Here's one way to get more heat out of your fireplace: Once you have a nice fire going, or a good, strong coal bed, close your damper down to a level that will still draft, but only just above what is needed to keep the fire/coals from back-drafting/smoking into your home. This should kick more heat out of your firebox.

Note, however, that fireplaces are notoriously inefficient. I installed an insert this year, and now get SUBSTANTIALLY more heat out of the wood I burn. . . and I burn less than 1/4 of what I did in my open fireplace. The savings on wood and heating oil/natural gas/LP/electricty by not running your main heating system will pay for the insert in just a couple of years max. Might be something you want to run some numbers on.

Good luck. . . keep warm!

Tim (Maine)