+ Reply to Thread

Default Correct Primer to Use

I have just had holes in my plaster walls repaired and then the walls were skim coated. I am wondering the correct primer to use before painting. Should I use Oil Base or Water Base Primer?
    Is one better than the other?

Default Re: Correct Primer to Use

Hello Abrown!

Was actual PLASTER used to skim your walls, or just regular Joint-compound??

If it was plaster, many of these need to cure ONE MONTH or more before priming/painting.
    If normal joint compound, a day or two to dry is fine.

MAKE SURE all dust is vacuumed/wiped off!! This is critical.

There's lots of good primers out there. Zinsser's 123 Latex is a good one, or C2's "One" primer.
    A good 2nd category of primers are the PVA-primers. On your walls, I'd do 2 coats of primer, followed by 2 FULL topcoats of paint. Buy the top grades.
    >>> Reason?? A newly skimmed wall is a "bottomless pit" of thirst! Quite often, 1 coat of primer isn't actually enough!!
    >>> Oil primers. There ARE cases for them inside, but this isn't one of them.
    >>> For the absolute best look, lightly pole-sand the walls after 1st prime-coat, remove all dust, and prime again.
    >>> Now you're ready for a showroom-quality paintjob!

Faron

ABrown,

PVA (Poly-Vinyl Acetate)is actually not the best primer to use for top quality use. Look for a 100% acrylic primer. Those that are listed as an enamel undercoater will give superior sealing and color blocking due to the superior pure acrylic binder and the finer milling of the white titanium pigment in it. Behr's Number 75 Enamel Undercoater is one such product.

I always like oil for restoration and/or patch jobs on plaster but I'd say Faron's recommendation is excellent. PVA - Best Quality - 2 Coats (sand between) Good 2 Go!!!!!