+ Reply to Thread

Default Plug and Play electical connectors

Does anyone know where to purchase the plug and play electrical connectors they described when talking with the electrical contractor?

Thanks,
    Robert

Default Re: Plug and Play electical connectors

Do an internet search for "Lithonia Reloc."

Thanks, I did as you suggested, but I couldn't find the exact same connectors as described on the show.

Robert

I have been told that these connectors are limited by code to this type of modular construction, so they may be special order and not normally listed to the general public.

I represent a company that makes plug and play wiring systems for commercial applications. www.ciinet.com. it typicall is under a access floor in office space or in a accessible ceiling.

The connectors you are talking about on the show is typically used in modular construction (manufactured homes) to connect wiring between the modular units. One thing to remember is that it is a connection that must be accessible after the home is in place. It either has to be in a craw space, unfinished basement, or accesible attic space to name a few.
    Harry

Thanks everyone. Good information. I certainly am intrigued with the smarthome product.

Regards,
    Robert

I asked a buddy who is an electrical engineer/designer and he said he was only aware of their use in office buildings where a somewhat frequent re-tasking of lighting might be required when tenants come and go. Think of these connectors the same way way you think of wall units in a typical office cube farm. I can't see any reason for a person to need these unless they were building and installing pre-fab panels. It really has no advantage that I can see for a typical homeowner, whose wiring probably stays in place for 50 or more years, and is only changed when there is a major project or upgrade. My 1910 house started with knob and tube, had additional circuits added around 1950 with 2-wire braided sheath, and then was completely redone with a new service panel, many additional circuits, and a couple thousand feet of grounded NM in 2000. That technology doesn't move fast enough to justify anything modular for the typical homeowner. OTOH, I do support the idea of conduit for the low power A/V and communications channels where technology is moving at a significantly faster pace.

I have a modular home that uses plug-and-play connectors like the ones shown in the series. They are convenient, but they can also be very troublesome. I had two exterior GFI outlets that would not work for almost a year. Two electricians tried to solve the problem. Finally, a third electrician said he knew what was causing the problem as soon as I told him my house was a modular house. It was the plug-and-play connector. He had to bypass the connector for the GFI outlets to function correctly. I don't know why this worked, but it definitely worked.

I too was intrigued by those connectors. After the show,I Googled, I believe it was "non-metallic sheath connectors" and found out they were an Amp connector (no surprise) marketed by Tyco Electronics. By coincidence, at the end of the show, the credits showed Tyco Electronics. For what it's worth.....