+ Reply to Thread

Default Damage to laminate countertop - what's the cause?

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what the cause of the damage done to a laminate countertop is.

I realize there might be many different causes, but what do you think they cause may have been? I personally believe it to be water that caused the damage (maybe an incorrectly installed sink, that wasn't caulked properly), mostly because the bottom of the countertop is showing some mould around the sink and near the faucets.

Also, how old does this countertop look to be?

Any information would be great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0364.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	3434   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0307.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	3435  

Default Re: Damage to laminate countertop - what's the cause?

Hard to say --- it's possible as you describe or could have been slighty cracked from when the sink cutout was done or a combination of both.

As to the age --- no way of telling for sure --- that butcher block look has been around a long time and if you look around it still can be found.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: Damage to laminate countertop - what's the cause?

Hard to say from the pics. The most common cause of failure is moisture getting to the particle board substrate. Your problem, however, looks more like a blister which could have either been a manufacturing defect or caused by a hot pan left sitting. Unfortunately, the only repair will be replacement.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!