I have spent the entire summer repainting an old wood frame building. Because of extensive repair work necessary on the siding and window sills, the job took longer than planned, with still one wall to go.

The plan was to use a top-grade oil primer and two coats of 100% acrylic latex topcoat, the first top-coat flat and the second coat gloss.

I stripped down to bare wood, made necessary repairs and just finished applying the coat of oil primer to the remaining wall. I had just begun to apply the first top coat when a weather front moved through, and now temperatures have plunged, expected to drop into the low 40's to mid 30's every night for the foreseeable future, and peak in the high 60's to low 70's by day.

The manufacturer's minimum recommended temperature for the latex paint on hand is something like 45-50 degrees for 36 hours following application. I doubt that we'll have any more temperatures that warm for that long, until spring. I understand that oil-based paint is less sensitive to low temperature.

I am considering the following options, and would like some advice on which would be best to follow.

1. Stop work, leaving the primed wall without a top coat over the winter and apply the two top coats as soon as it warms up next spring.

2. Apply one coat of acrylic latex during the warm days, and add a second coat next spring.

3. Apply a coat of flat oil-base top coat now and add one coat of acrylic latex in the spring.

4. Apply oil-base top coat now, and add a second coat of oil paint when warm weather returns.

I put too much work into preparing that wall for the paint to fail after a couple of years.