+ Reply to Thread

Default bad smell in old cabnets

we just purchased a ranch style house built in 1956. The entire house needs updated but its a good solid house. However, the cabnets have a horriable smell. All of them, the kitchen & the bathroom. I washed them all out & painted them but they still have this old indiscribable smell. I'm looking for ideas how to get rid of the smell. It's not as bad as it was befor I washed & painted but it's still there.

Default Re: bad smell in old cabnets

When you painted them (interiors I'm assuming ), did you use a pigmented shellac to seal in the odor and stains prior to painting? Paint alone won't do it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I used Zinzer perma white, a mold & mildew retardent. The house sat empty for 2 1/2 years & prior to that 3 widows lived here. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I can't really offer help after the fact. We do have a couple good painter contributors here that will likely weigh in on Monday or Tuesday.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I too have an "old" smell in my kitchen cabinets at times. When It's damp outside and I open a lower cabinet only, yuk! I painted the outside of my cabinets not the interior. I've tried putting small scented items in and it helps somewhat, but it doesn't take care of the problem. I'd appreciate any advice also. I do not have a basement.