+ Reply to Thread

Default Patio Concrete Floor with Some Strnage Substance

Hi,
    I have been struggling with this project for a month. I have a covered patio with concrete floor. I was dreaming of acid staining the concrete in various patterns. Well, when I got to this task, I discovered lots of places with semi- peeling paint-I do not know what kind of paint. I have tried strong paint remover and epoxy paint remover, but at no avail. The only resolution which worked so far was using a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with diamond blade. However, this was not a real solution as the grinder creates lot of dust and also gunk when is done wet. Also, 500 sq. ft patio with a little grinder??? Any suggestions please? Thank you very very much!!!

Default Re: Patio Concrete Floor with Some Strnage Substance

Home Depot and others sell Floor paint sc****rs they work well but are a chore to use. You can also rent power scrappers but you might have a time chasing one down. Similarly there are large diamond tooth grinders similarly to the large DIY random orbit floor sanders designed for concrete.

Unfortunately, the method you are employing is the best method. There are rental stores that rend grinders with vacs to collect a large part of the debris, making the job a little 'nicer'.

Most likely it is an epoxy. Even thought the "epoxy remover" didn't work doesn't mean it is not an epoxy. Removers are said to work on "most" but generally "yours" is one of the types it does not. Go figure.
    For a Professional Installation Visit: Hidden Content
    Ton's of Pics: Hidden Content

We have used a large grinder to level out humps in concrete. It probably has an 8 inch head on it. Unfortunately the mess is going to come with the job. There's nothing clean and tidy about it. You also have the option of capping the concrete with a concrete overlay. It goes on very thin and will probably take stain better than the concrete you have now. Good luck.