+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Electric Water Heater: Water Too Hot

Quote Originally Posted by garcia5 View Post
    Its an Electric Water Heater, 40 Gallons, about 4 feet tall. The repairman explained that they would have to put the water heater on order which is beyond me since there are so many readily available at any Lowes or Home Depot. He says the $850 price includes all installation and a 6 year warrenty from them on the water heater as well as the 4 year warrenty the water heater already comes with.

The water heater is a Bradford White which the repairman says isn't that great.
    In reality that is not a bad price the water heater is about $400 dollars and most contractors charge about 4 hours to do a job. that includes pick up of the water heater hooking it up and then removing the old one and disposal. sometimes getting the new one in and the old one out requires two men. not a great deal but it isn't over priced.
    Harry

Am trying to decide what to do. So no brain huh? What the heck was that guy talking about. Could he be using some repairman terminology that is backwards or something?

If this is an electric water heater and is not some special state of the art design there is no "brain" aside from the thermostat and cutoff. Those parts can be replaced instead of the whole tank.

Am trying to decide what to do. So no brain huh? What the heck was that guy talking about. Could he be using some repairman terminology that is backwards or something?
    I have had the same thing happen to me and replace mine myself being a Master Electrician.
    What happens when they fail like you described is the thermostat sticks in the closed position (could have just replaced the thermostat) it keeps the element enegized and over heats the water. Then it trip the TPI opens up (pressure relief valve) and empties the water out the TPI. after it relieves the pressure it closes back and the process is repeated. What you see at the faucet is super heated water that can burn you. In reallity if the water heater is older it is best to replace the whole tank. I hope that helps explain what happends.
    Harry

see I think it is all due to a misunderstanding.. I think he was meaning HIS brain was fried

Lowes may sell the water heater for 300 but if you have them install its 250 more plus some counties (like mine) wanted 104 more for a permit (even though I have a heater any time get a new one my county says new permit) by the time I left Lowes a $328 water heater was $743. But that is the going price everywhere. I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderpet View Post
    Lowes may sell the water heater for 300 but if you have them install its 250 more plus some counties (like mine) wanted 104 more for a permit (even though I have a heater any time get a new one my county says new permit) by the time I left Lowes a $328 water heater was $743. But that is the going price everywhere. I checked.
    Sure, it's like everything else we buy. I saw a new Camry advertised for sale for $14,999 but when I went to the dealer, he only had Camrys for $22,000 and up. That car in the ad, "just sold".