I have an 1877 two story farm house. The style of the house is vernaclular? that is, very organic, most likely built by the homeowner himself, with no particular style in mind. He needed a house and he built one. I'm considering replacing the existing dormer (a coin slot type, just wide enough to get a peak out the second story)with a wider dormer. Which type of dormer would be most appropriate, a shed type or a dormer with a gable end? Also, with the dimensions of the house being 36' x 24', and the pitch of the roof at 9/12 what size dormer would be the most asthetically pleasing? I'm limited in the interior to about 10' wide, but if that's too wide to make it right, I'll go less wide. Also, how high? Should I take the roofline right off the original ridgeline of the house or bring it down a bit? Should I take the sill to the original roof drip edge or step it up? Does it have to be centered on the roof? To throw a curve into the mix, we (my wife and I) would eventually like to add an addition on this side of the house, with that in mind, the gable type dormer would be best, then we could simply (ha ha) extend the gable off the side of the house and add the addition. But, that may be a few years down the road and for now the shed roof type dormer would allow the most interior room. Any amateur or professional architects out there?